Artesa is looking for an enthusiastic hard-working cellar/lab intern for the upcoming 2020 harvest. Candidates should have a passion for wine, work well in a team environment and have excellent attention to detail.
This seasonal position is responsible for supporting Artesa’s full-time cellar/lab crew with cellar operations as directed by the Cellar Leads and/or Assistant Winemaker or Winemaker. This position will have cross over with the lab during certain periods of the year, and is a great opportunity for the right candidate. The amount of time spent in the lab, or cellar, will be completely dependent on work load, and timing of harvest. This position reports to the Assistant Winemaker. Note that this position involves working overtime, including nights and weekends this is all dependent on seasonal variability. The internship runs from early August to end of November.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
• Tasks include, but are not limited to:
o sample pulling and prep as directed by Enologist or Senior Lab assistant
o grape maturity reporting (lab only – no vineyard sampling)
o sanitation of must lines, pumps, presses, tanks, and all winery equipment
o assist senior personnel in general harvest operations - crush pad; sorting table; wine press work; yeast buildup and nutrient additions, setting up lines & tanks for wine transfers, etc…
o pumpovers / punchdowns / cap management as directed by winemaking, including daily Brix assessment.
o cleaning / prepping / filling / topping and other general barrel work
o As cellar work slows down, this candidate would transition to help the lab staff with ML/RS/VA tracking and reporting, as well as other lab analysis as needed.
• Cellar techniques used are in accordance with the winery’s high standards of quality and SOP.
• Able to lift and carry 48 pounds (weight of a case of wine)
• Able to climb ladders, catwalk stairs and stand for extended periods of time.
• Able to shovel pomace and operate a pneumatic punch-down device.
• Willing and able to work standing for a minimum of 8 hours
• Willing and able to work weekends and extended hours during peak season
The perfect candidates will have:
• Positive attitude
• Organized and with attention to detail
• Strong Initiative
• Curious and enthusiastic about winemaking, and wine in general
• Previous Harvest/Lab strongly encouraged.