Michael David Winery, based in Lodi California and producing such iconic wines as Petite Petit, FREAKSHOW and Earthquake is owned by brothers Michael and David Phillips, who have built their winery into one of the fastest growing wineries in the United States. The Phillips brothers released their first commercial wine in 1984 under the Phillips Vineyards label after years of growing grapes for other wineries. Now celebrating more than 30 years as a bonded winery, Michael and David have over 800 acres of vineyards in Lodi. They pride themselves on being family owned and operated, meticulous farming practices and sustainable wine grape growing, which result in superior quality in the bottle. Their hard work has paid off as the wines regularly take top awards and recognition nationwide.
SEASONAL LAB TECHNICIAN
We currently have an excellent seasonal opportunity for a motivated and driven person who is willing to be part of an exciting team. Under supervision of the Lab Manager, the Seasonal Laboratory Technician is responsible for performing routine and special analysis of grapes and wine according to the MDW Laboratory Standard Operating Procedures. Responsibilities will include preparing samples and performing analysis on juices, musts, fermenting wines/finished wines, reporting data into our data management system as well as maintaining a safe and clean laboratory environment.
Responsibilities will include:
• Collect representative samples from tanks and barrels at all company facilities.
• Perform daily analysis on juice and wine samples using a variety of manual and automated methods.
• Process and test vineyard grape samples for ripeness.
• Assist in the setup of tastings and trials.
• Properly maintain instruments and test systems.
• Following standard operating and safety procedures.
• Prepares analytical reagents as necessary.
• Compares historical analysis, check molecular SO2 and target SO2.
• Learns and eventually assists in hands-on winemaking for the Grower Barrel Program.
• Performs Tank Health/Skim and Spritz checks for visual observations of wine health
• Maintain an organized and clean working environment.
• Monitors inventory depletion of reagents/consumable goods and reports shortages.
• Retrieves packages of bulk wine, laboratory supplies, winemaker packages, etc. from the shipping room.
• Maintains organization of received bulk wines and Bulk Wine spread sheets.
• Prepares bulk wine samples for shipment to brokers/direct requests.
• Support winemaking activities in cellar as needed.
• Fulfills requests from winemaking staff.
Qualifications will include:
• B.S. degree in Enology, Food Science, Biology or related field preferred; or High School diploma/ GED with one or more years winery lab experience.
• Position requires age of 21 years or older.
• Ability to communicate English in written and verbal form (Spanish helpful).
• Strong computer knowledge of Microsoft Suite.
• Ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide, and calculate percentages.
• Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and proof of current insurance
• Ability to multi-task
• Working conditions include internal and external work in all types of weather environments; possible travel if needed.
• Able to work flexible schedules and long hours; work overtime, weekends and holidays as needed.
To be considered a resume must be submitted.
Phillips Farms-Michael David Winery provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, or any other legally protected status.