This is an exciting opportunity to work in a winery lab in Monterey County. J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines is one of California’s leading family-owned and operated wineries and estate vineyards in Paso Robles, Monterey and Napa Valley.
The Laboratory Technician is responsible for the efficient and professional execution of laboratory operations relating to the production of J. Lohr wines, while promoting a team-oriented environment within the department and company. This position works with the Winemaker of White Wines to assure that the wines produced are of the highest quality and enhance the reputation of J. Lohr Winery.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
QUALITY CONTROL: Works with Winemaker, White Wines and Laboratory Technician for accuracy of laboratory data generated at the winery, by maintaining reagents, calibrations of equipment, training and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
DAILY LABORATORY ANALYSIS: Performs the following chemical analyses as needed: total acidity (TA), pH, free sulfur dioxide (FSO2), NTU and DO, enzymatic tests for residual sugar (RS), malates, and volatile acidity, fining trials. Performs Foss analysis as needed.
HARVEST ANALYSIS: Works with Winemaker, White Wines and Laboratory Technician on the analysis of field samples and incoming fruit or juice including Brix, pH, TA, and YAN and malic acid. Checks brix, pH, and TA, Temp in degF, on alcoholic fermentations and monitors malolactic fermentations. Responsible for Dyostem sample preparation and analysis for white and red grapes in Greenfield.
SAMPLING: Collecting barrel or tank samples for analysis and/or tasting. Collecting random berry samples from VINEYARD for analysis or tasting.
LABORATORY PROCEDURES: Participates with laboratory and winemaking staff in the development of procedures that elevate the level of efficiency, consistency and quality of work. Assures the quality of J. Lohr wines by having an understanding of laboratory Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
RECORD KEEPING: Record, print, and distribute analysis, enzymatic procedures and results for RS and malic. Input all analysis into the Winemakers Data Base, the Fermentation Log and/or the Dyostem website daily and alerts the Winemaker, White Wines when they are entered.
SAFETY: Maintains a high level of safety awareness with all staff through ongoing meetings and training. Responsible for adherence to all safety procedures.
TEAMWORK: Adheres to and supports company policies and decisions in a positive manner. Cooperates with others to ensure the best overall results for J. Lohr Winery.
• Formal education in a laboratory science or 3 years equivalent winery experience is required. Prior seminar attendance and/or background in enology or fermentation desirable.
• Requires knowledge of laboratory activities and responsibilities and a basic understanding of the role that lab activities play in the creation of quality wine.
• Strong mathematical skills and attention to detail are required in order to calculate, understand, document, and record laboratory results.
• Excellent communication skills are required in order to work effectively with a variety of people including the winemaking and production crew.
• Strong computer skills, including efficient use of email, word processing and spreadsheets, as well as Internet research capabilities are required.
• Strong reasoning skills, judgment and problem-solving skills are required in order to respond effectively to changing situations, coordinate multiple activities, analyze and resolve problems.
• A valid Driver’s License with a driving record acceptable to the Winery’s insurance carrier is desirable for this position.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: This position requires the following levels of physical activity:
• Moderate (1/3 of the time) sitting, standing, squatting.
• Some (less than 1/3 of the time) walking, bending, climbing, reaching over and below the shoulder, carrying and lifting up to 50 pounds; grasping, pushing/pulling, and fine manipulation with both hands.
• Visual capabilities: close and distance, color, peripheral vision and adjustment of focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: This position entails exposure to the following environmental conditions:
• Marked temperature and humidity changes.
• Noise level exposure: Moderate.
For more information about J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines, please visit www.jlohr.com.
To apply, please click the "Apply For This Job" button and include your resume and cover letter.