Originally homesteading in Lodi, CA in the 1850’s, the Phillips Family have roots that run deep. The Phillips brothers released their first commercial wine in 1984 under the Phillips Vineyards label after years of growing grapes for other wineries. Now, with iconic brands such as Freakshow, Petite Petit and Earthquake, Michael David Winery is a tour de force as one of the leading wineries in the United States and distributing our wines in 40+ countries around the world. The Phillips pride themselves on being family owned and operated, enforcing meticulous farming practices and ensuring sustainable wine grape growing techniques which result in superior quality in the bottle. Their hard work has paid off as the wines regularly take top awards and recognition nationwide.
We are currently looking to fill a Cellar Worker 3 position at our Lodi, CA location. This position will lead and participate in the work of a small crew performing winery cellar duties including, but not limited to, grape receipt, crushing, additions, pressing, filling and topping, as well as wine movement and the operation of winery machinery under safety guidelines. Leads a crew by prioritizing projects, assigning work task, using equipment, maintaining records, monitoring work quality, developing work schedules, insuring crew safety, training employees, and providing performance feedback.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Under directions of the Cellar Master, assigns work of cellar workers according of schedules and needs.
• Checks quality and quantity of work performed.
• Ensures Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) are followed.
• Keep management informed of issues and recommend changes as needed.
• Assist with quality control checks and labeling associated with wine movements and tracking requirements.
• Effectively communicate with Cellar Mast and Winemaking staff, then disseminate information to cellar crew and productions members.
• Communicate with outside vendors.
• Monitors facility water usage and ensure wastewater system needs and processes are in place and used properly.
• Operates pumps to receive juice, perform pump-overs and racking’s, and blend final products.
• Prepares additions for pitching, fining, filtering, and finishing products or juice and wines.
• Operates crossflow filter, centrifuge, and associated processing equipment, including CIP protocols.
• Handle grape/juice deliveries.
• Making chemical additions to juice and wine; moving hoses and equipment
• Safe operation of a forklift to move tanks, barrels, and equipment
• Obtaining lab samples as needed
• Operating crusher, presses and filter
• Collect wine/juice samples and general support for the laboratory
• Directly responsible for maintaining quality standards in all areas of wine production.
• Adheres to and advances good safety practices.
• Maintain and confirm a sanitary and micro-biologically stable work environment, including Tank/Hose CIP
• Cleaning, sanitizing and sterilizing all winery equipment and facilities
• Ensure sanitation of all areas of cellar operation.
Qualifications will include:
• High School diploma or equivalent; minimum 5 years cellar experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of all cellar functions.
• Must be 21 years of age or older
• Team leadership skills preferred, including communication, motivation, and giving and receiving constructive feedback.
• Ability to communicate English in written and verbal form (Spanish helpful).
• Ability to perform basic add, subtract, multiply, divide, and calculate percentages.
• Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and proof of current insurance
• Ability to multi-task
• Must able to read and understand measurements for tank gauging.
• Working conditions include internal and external work in all types of weather environments.
• Work a 4/10 shift during off season and 5/8 shift during harvest/crush season. Work flexible schedules to include evenings or nights, weekends, holidays.
• Frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds; occasional move up to 100 pounds
• Ability to travel as needed.
To be considered a cover letter and your resume must be submitted.
Phillips Farms-Michael David Winery provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, or any other legally protected status.