JOB TITLE: Part Time Guest Relations / Wine Educator and Hospitality Host
DEPARTMENT: Tasting Room
REPORTS TO: Retail & Hospitality Manager
CLASSIFICATION: Hourly, Non-Exempt
For forty years, Sequoia Grove Winery has been obsessed with the details that go into crafting our Napa Valley wines and single-vineyard Cabernet Sauvignons. Our commitment to quality starts in the vineyard; we grow the very best grapes in the finest terroir to form the foundation of our wines. Quality is intrinsic to everything we do, from winemaking to our gracious hospitality; it’s engrained in our culture and the vanguard of our philosophy. The next step in our compelling evolution begins in 2018 with the introduction of our new state-of-the-art winemaking and hospitality facilities. At Sequoia Grove, we’ve been carving our own path for decades while never losing sight of who we are; rooted in history, guided by integrity, resolute in our values, and committed to the future.
This part-time position is responsible for engaging and educating consumer and trade visitors while selling wine and wine club memberships in the tasting room. The base compensation is very competitive and is further enhanced by a generous wine club bonus, commission and tips. It’s a great time to join our team, we are growing, have new developments and opportunity for our staff.
• Welcome all guests to the winery and build rapport through an educational and down-to-earth communications style. Sequoia Grove is known for a friendly, non-pretentious
tasting room experience and we look to continue this tradition.
• Listen to customer’s needs, wants and desires and customize selling approach to best meet those requirements.
• Foster a positive brand image by providing a consistent, memorable guest experience.
• Make relevant wine and product recommendations and be comfortable asking for the sale.
• Review features and benefits of Sequoia Grove wine clubs with all eligible customers and sign up new members.
• Ask customers if they would like to stay in touch through Friends of Sequoia Grove loyalty communication and gather customer contact information.
• Accurately handle routine purchasing transactions using Microsoft Retail Management System.
• Abide by all applicable laws and process all required paperwork accurately and efficiently.
• Lead private tastings and/or tours, as needed.
• Assist with set-up, execution and break-down of events.
• Hosting of events.
• When needed, work directly in other direct-to-consumer systems including e-Winery Solutions, Ship Compliant and others.
• Work periodic public and private events at or away from the winery. These events may require travel and working later in the evening.
• Conduct general housekeeping to ensure tasting room is clean and properly equipped and outdoor areas are neat and tidy.
• Acquire and maintain thorough knowledge of Sequoia Grove Winery and its wines.
• Participate in receiving wines, and physical inventory count accuracies.
• Provide general tourist information to visitors.
• Assist with special projects, as needed. (restocking, merchandising, organizing, etc.).
• This position requires a high-level professionalism. Risqué or potentially offensive humor or other behavior not consistent with the high standards of this position will not be
• The incumbent must have a clean, well-maintained personal appearance when interacting with consumer and trade guests.
• The incumbent will abide by all Sequoia Grove Standards of Conduct and other requirements as outlined in the Employee Manual (available for review upon request).
• Sequoia Grove operates as a team. This position must be willing to roll up their sleeves to do what’s necessary to delight customers and generate sales.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential functions. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• 2+ years of Direct-to-Consumer wine sales ranking at or near the top of their department
• Minimum of High School diploma; College preferred
• Professional wine certification (e.g. CSW, WSET, etc.) highly preferred
• Excellent written and presentation skills
• Familiarity with Microsoft Retail Management System or similar
• Familiarity with e-Winery Solutions e-commerce platform or similar
• Must be able to lift and carry 50lbs (case of wine)
• Able to stand for long periods of time
• Must have knowledge of Napa Valley history, winemaking and viticulture
• Must have a valid California Driver’s License, a clean driving record and proof of auto insurance
Performance will be measured against accomplishment of job responsibilities and annual goals and strategic objectives using Sequoia Grove’s performance review system.
Most job responsibilities will be performed in the Tasting Room and other Visitor Center locations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to possess ambulatory skills sufficient to stand and walk for extended periods of time. Must also repetitively lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
SEQUOIA GROVE WINERY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, COMMITTED TO A DIVERSE AND INCLUSIVE WORK ENVIRONMENT. (EOE M/V/F/D)