William Heritage Winery has been producing premium estate grown wines since 2001. Recently rated 90 points from such publications at the Wine Advocate, Wine Enthusiast Magazine, Wine & Spirits Magazine and the International Wine Guide, William Heritage has been cementing itself as a benchmark producer in the region. The winery owns over 60 acres of vineyards for wine production.
Another core aspect of the winery’s production is in sweeter-style wines produced & bottled for the broader wholesale market in New Jersey. These wines make up a large portion of the production at William Heritage Winery.
William Heritage Winery is in search of a motivated and experienced winemaker with an exceptional work ethic. This individual will be expected to execute year-round production and lead the winemaking team in the pursuit of crafting high quality wines.
Winemaker Requirements and Responsibilities (Will Only Consider Those Who Meet ALL Criteria In This Section)
• 3+ years of winemaking experience
• Formal education in either enology, chemistry or fermentation science
• Experience with operating a fully automated bottling line
• Experience operating a forklift
• Cellar sanitation experience – cleaning tanks, barrels and other winemaking equipment
• Harvest experience including - fruit sorting, processing, pump overs, pressing, ect.
• Experience blending, racking, SO2 additions, topping, etc.
• Ability to perform various types of lab analysis for winemaking
• The position requires the ability to lift 50 lbs, climb ladders, and stand for extended periods of time
• During harvest months – ability to work 6+ days and 50+ hours (September – November)
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
• Participate in grading individual wine lots and cooperages for blending and winemaking decisions
• Assist with maintaining an accurate monthly inventory of bulk wine, bottling supplies
• Participation with select winery events
• Maintain a working knowledge of winery equipment and be able to troubleshoot when necessary
• Load and unload trucks for shipping and receiving at the winery
• Help contribute to winery safety and training programs
Goals & Skill Sets
- Must have a thorough understanding of the entire winemaking process
- Good communication skills and the ability to work with a team as well as work well alone
- Strong attention to detail
- Commitment to maintaining quality standards
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and other basic computer programs
- Willing and able to work long hours during harvest and bottling
- Enjoys hands-on, production labor
- Ability to work in difficult conditions such as: heat, cold, high places, and on ladders
*** Production Requirements
Note that William Heritage Winery is a full production winery. Full-time winemaker will be required to bottle wines all months except during harvest (September-November). Preference will be given to those with experience leading a winery's annual production of 20,000-30,000 cases.
*** Reporting Requirements
This position is directed by and reports to owners, Bill & Penni Heritage along with marketing & sales manager, Richard Heritage. This position is also expected to manage and lead our assistant winemaker & production crews for bottling & harvest.
- Hourly wage to be negotiated
- Two weeks paid vacation
- Annual Bonus
- William Heritage Winery currently does not offer a health benefits package.
William Heritage Winery is owned and operated by Bill & Penni Heritage with the help of their sons – Richard & Erik Heritage. The family takes tremendous pride in their family farm, wine quality and working environment. The Heritage family has been farming the same piece of land since 1853. The overall goal of the vineyard and winery is to continue the family farming legacy that has lasted for over six generations.
Only those will be considered who meet all criteria listed in “Winemaker Requirements and Responsibilities” section.
William Heritage Winery
480 Mullica Hill Road
Mullica Hill, NJ 08062