Turley Wine Cellars is hiring a collaborative Tasting Room Assistant Manager with strong wine knowledge, a genuine passion for hospitality and sales, great employee relations skills and recent industry experience.
You will be working in partnership with our tasting room manager to help grow our wine programs and develop a fantastic team – fun, smart, hardworking, kind, respected within the organization – in an environment that is comfortable, casual, and open (both in physical layout and welcoming of your ideas and input). This is an active and fast-paced position. While you’ll certainly need strong computer and technical skills, your primary focus will be on the floor: conducting tastings, working with customers and staff, wearing many hats, and leading by example.
We value integrity, authenticity, and taking care of our employees. Many have been with us for a long time, and we hope you will be, too. We are looking for someone who is dedicated, responsible, even-keeled, enjoyable to work with, and has the capacity, creativity and stamina to take this job to the next level.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position. Compensation will include base salary, incentive pay, company bonus, profit sharing, full benefits package with generous dependent contributions (medical/dental/vision/life insurance), paid vacation and holidays, employee wine program, and educational opportunities for professional development. Candidates must be available and willing to work Wednesday-Sunday with the flexibility to switch days occasionally as needed to cover vacation schedules or special events.
Turley is a family-owned business with wineries in St. Helena, Paso Robles and Amador. A passionate producer and advocate of old vine Zinfandels, we make over 45 wines, the vast majority of which are single vineyard designate Zinfandels and Petite Syrahs.
Primary responsibilities and qualifications below are detailed below. To apply for the position, please email resume and cover letter. Thank you for your interest in working with us!
- Perform supervisory functions as needed including opening and closing shifts
- Maintain a consistent presence on the Tasting Room floor, ensuring that staff operates to TWC standards for professionalism, hospitality, customer service, sales, and timekeeping/attendance
- Take ownership in completion of checklists, general tasting room upkeep/presentation and help staff stay on task
- Work with tasting room manager to develop monthly sales goals and track progress weekly
- Lead by example in performance of all tasting room responsibilities and communications regarding personnel and/or customers issues and suggest ways to improve day to day tasting room operations
- Work with TR manager on development and implementation of SOPs
- Assist with staff training on wine and vineyard histories, policies and procedures, and operating POS system
- Host private tastings and assist with special events as needed, with an emphasis on detail and guest experience
- Communicate effectively, graciously and appropriately with guests, team members, a diverse clientele and all levels of the organizations while performing job responsibilities in a fast-paced environment; must be able to manage occasional conflict and difficult situations/conversations with tact
- Participate in monthly inventory counts
- Troubleshoot POS and basic internet/phone systems
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Frequently stand, move and walk for long periods of time
- Bend, squat, climb, push, stoop and crouch repeatedly
- Lift and move wine cases repeatedly throughout a shift (up to 50 pounds) for stocking, inventory, set up/breakdown procedures, and loading into customer vehicles
- Operate and move a hand truck holding 3 cases of wine (120 pounds)
- Open, smell, taste and pour wine, perform opening and closing duties and various housekeeping tasks
- Follow written and verbal instructions, accurately identify wine labels and read small print
- Efficiently move about the tasting room and property to access wine, merchandise, and supplies stored in cabinets and storage boxes at various heights
- Use arms, hands and fingers to operate to consistently and accurately operate a register, telephone, printer, and basic office productivity machinery
- Remain in a stationary position and open and pour wine repeatedly throughout working shift
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience working in similar capacity; must have recent supervisory experience, preferably in a hospitality or retail environment
- Ability to consistently work a flexible schedule – weekends and holidays are required
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant work experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and POS systems
- Valid California driver license
- Knowledge of wines and wine production is required
- Ability and flexibility to manage multiple tasks and responsibilities, constantly changing priorities and diverse personalities with friendly approach and open attitude
- Merchandising experience a plus