The Lead Tasting Room Associate is responsible for providing the front line guest experience by developing relationships that promote the sale of wine, wine club membership and develops brand loyalty. The person filling this role will also help with the physical movement of all wine into and out of the winery, helping to maintain the inventory database system, and ensure accurate inventory numbers to prevent “oversold” situations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
• Ensures that all guests are greeted immediately upon entry to the tasting room and provided with experiences that build brand loyalty
• Communicates in a knowledgeable, professional and gracious manner to all guests who visit Matrix Winery
• Leads tasting room staff in partnership with and/or absence of DTC Manager
• Maintain the appearance of the tasting room to reinforce standards of the brand by ensuring that all displays of products are attractive and well maintained
• ID guests to ensure that each is of legal age to consume alcohol
• Serve samples of wine for guests in both individual and group settings
• Shares appropriate information and educates guests about Matrix wines, brand history, sister wineries and lodging
• Promote the sale of wine products in the tasting room, pursue sales opportunities and encourage customers to purchase Matrix wines and join the wine club
• Accurately completes end-of-day reports, reconciles daily sales, and posts transactions
• Demonstrates personal accountability in following all company policies and procedures
• Performs opening and closing procedures, which includes but is not limited to the items listed on the Opening/Closing Checklist
• Ensures cleanliness and performs facility housekeeping of the grounds and tasting room (including outdoor areas, the tasting bar, and restrooms)
• Maintains physical inventory of merchandise items, and performs the restocking of wine in the tasting room
• Ensure that the tasting menu is accurate and up-to-date at all times
• Demonstrate initiative and willingness to work events and special projects
• Work closely with the DTC Sales Manager and the Wine Club Coordinator
• Business to business outreach – by phone and in person
• Stock, maintain and organize the winery’s fulfillment room and warehouse with the help of other team members
• Perform case goods inventory counts and assist with inventory reconciliation
• Follow proper safety procedures
• Other duties as assigned
• Must be at least 21 years of age
• One year of experience in a lead tasting room role
• Ability to effectively problem solve, make sound decisions and act in the absence of DTC Manager
• First-hand knowledge, appreciation and passion for wine and wine-related topics
• Curious about wine, wine making, terroir with an active interest to learn more
• Must have strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to speak in a professional manner with all guests and team members
• Retail sales and customer service experience
• Able to set a positive example and provide leadership to tasting room team
• Ability to present product, up sell & cross sell
• Interpersonal awareness, relationship management and influencing skills
• Computer skills: Microsoft Office and Point-of-Sale applications; Wine Direct is a plus.
• Database management and data entry experience a plus
• Must possess the ability to analyze and interpret sales data
• Available weekends and holidays as required, and extended hours in order to complete the job as needed
• Must be able to work independently and also as part of a team.
• Maintain a professional appearance
• Demonstrate a positive disposition
• Ability to stand and speak for extended periods of time
• Ability to lift 50 lbs. on a repetitive basis
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Minimum of one year of similar or same experience
• High School Diploma or GED
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. A reasonable accommodation, if available, may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The employee is regularly required to use hands, arms and fingers
• Must be able to see, speak, hear, listen, smell and taste
• The employee is required to stand, move and walk for prolonged periods of time
• The employee must be able to lift/move/carry 50 lbs. on a repetitive basis
• The employee is occasionally required to sit, stoop, kneel, crouch and climb
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to a combination of tasting room, warehouse, outdoor and office environment
• The noise level in the work environment is usually low. Events may have a higher level of noise at times
This job description may change. Wilson Artisan Wineries is an equal opportunity employer.