Don Sebastiani & Sons is recruiting for a Laboratory Technician I to join the Winemaking team at our production facility in Napa, CA. We offer competitive salary as well as a comprehensive benefit package which includes medical, dental, vision, 401K, paid time off (PTO), paid holidays, wine discounts, and more.
Position Summary: Under close supervision, the Laboratory Technician I performs chemical analyses and product quality assessments on our wines. This position works directly with Winemaking, Cellar and Production.
Schedule: Day Shift. Four 10-hour days. Monday through Thursday from 4:00 am to 2:30 pm.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Performs all routine analyses of musts and wines in a timely and accurate manner. Analysis include: Free sulfur dioxide, total sulfur dioxide, titratable acidity, pH, alcohol, residual sugar, malic acid, volatile acidity, turbidity, density, dissolved oxygen, carbon dioxide, conductivity, protein stability.
• Performs packaging audits on the bottling lines, including cork extraction, torque measurement, headspace vacuum, microbiological plating, package appearance evaluation, equipment pressures, non-conformities evaluation.
• Actively maintains a clean, orderly, and safe laboratory work area while observing all safety rules.
• Prepares and maintains accurate records of all analyses and quality assurance audits.
• Collects samples for analysis and trials.
• Prepares microbiology and sensory evaluations.
• Communicates any “out of range” results to cellar lead and winemaking team.
• Assists in identifying non-conforming product or materials.
• Enters data and maintains data files.
• Utilizes specific software for managing processes including Microsoft Excel and Outlook.
• Actively participates in and abides by all HACCP and ISO programs as part of DSS compliance.
• Performs special assignments, projects, and other duties as requested.
Education and Experience:
• Associate’s Degree in a scientific discipline (Enology or Chemistry preferred).
• Good understanding of laboratory methodology.
• Working knowledge of MS Office.
• Requires ability to use up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently and/or 10 pounds continuously to move objects.
• Requires ability to walk, stand and sit, sometimes for prolonged periods of time.
• Requires sufficient good health to properly discharge duties.
• If applicable, requires ability to drive assigned vehicle(s) or personal vehicle, with appropriate state license, following all laws applicable; must provide proof of liability insurance and must be eligible to be insured under DSS’s insurance policy.