SUMMARY: Winemaker (W) will work on all aspects of winemaking & cellar activities from grape harvesting and processing/crush pad activities, fermentation management, additions, movements, racking/transferring, blending, finishing/bottling and warehousing all wines. He/she will participate in all winemaking decisions under the authority of winemaker & owner, will coordinate and oversee hands-on production of highest quality wines using input and direction in keeping with winery’s mission statement and values. The Winemaker also will sell / represent LV facilitates the daily cellar operations and performs all tasks in the winery.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The following reflects management’s definition of essential responsibilities & functions for this job. Duties include ~
• Coordinate with supervision of the crush, pressing, settling and all other phases of juice treatment and fermentation of the must.
• Oversee cask storage and maturation. Maintain barrels in good condition: use kegs for topping, clean bungs and sulfur empty barrels.
• Generate, manage interpret labs for sample and data collection and fermentation monitoring. Responsible for calculating and oversight of all chemical additions.
• Must be flexible within a seasonal work environment. Must be able to work extended hours during the harvest.
• Must ensure appropriate production and sanitation procedures are followed (including implementing a Sanitation policy for winery).
• Prepare bottling plans/logistics for each wine.
• Must keep detailed winery logs, maintain daily, monthly, and annual production schedules, and inventory records.
• Able to identify problems in wines and make recommendations.
• Perform sensory evaluations of wines before blending.
• Train and supervise the entire production team, harvest interns, etc.
• Assist with coordination & logistics of activities in the vineyard and winery.
• Assist Vineyard Mgr with monitoring grape development & production - testing as necessary to ensure fruit quality and determine the ideal harvest schedule.
• Partake in laboratory evaluations, laboratory budgets and laboratory capital recommendations.
• Help maintain both winery and vineyard year-round.
• Help strategize product lines.
• Conduct wholesale sales on within state of OR and long-term in other states with our distributors.
• Guide winery tours, conduct private tastings.
• Represent the winery at various industry, media, regulatory, and trade events.
EXPERIENCE & STANDARDS:
• Minimum 5 harvests. Overseas experience is valued with preference also for having worked multiple vintages in the Willamette Valley.
• Provide customer support by responding to customer inquiries and requests.
* Assist in recruiting & guiding custom crush clients in producing wines, from grape to bottle, per a desired wine style.
• Propose and conduct experiments/trials to enhance quality and stability in wines.
• Ability to restructure and improve wines that do not meet expectations.
• Do first analysis of data to provide appropriate enological/winemaking recommendations.
• Comprehension of blending concepts and discrimination tasting.
• Maintain working knowledge of our winemaking processes in order to teach pertinent information to existing team (harvest interns, vineyard support staff) as well as consumers visiting Lachini tasting rooms.
• Assist in producing Technical Marketing Materials that will help to support sales (including winemaker tasting notes, etc.).
• Winemakers Database skills a plus.
• Knowledge of Government Regulations
• Knowledge of EPA regulations on air and water
CREDENTIALS & SKILL SETS:
• Bachelors degree ~ Food Science, Enology or Chemistry or related field.
• Practical knowledge of cellar operations
• Minimum 2 as assistant winemaker + 3 years experience as cellar worker or
• Forklift operations certified.
• Natural problem-solver
• Proven ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines.
• Proficient in use of MS Office
• Proven ability to produce quality premium wines.
• Strong organizational, analytical and time management skills.
• Self-starter, motivated, results driven, “can-do” attitude, planning and implementation, problem solving; able to manage priorities with enthusiasm.
• Ability to read and understand measurements, interpret lab results.
• Good communication skills (use of email, daily logs, timesheets, etc.).
• Attention to detail, problem solving, project management skills and familiarity with relevant software systems and software.
• Good judgment with the ability to make timely and sound decisions.
• Ability to work within existing and established guidelines.
• Employee may often need to lift and/or move more than 50 lbs.
• Ability to pull, push, kneel, bend, reach.
• Ability to work seven days a week and long hours during periods of the year (e.g. harvest, bottling, events, etc.)
Salary is based on experience and productivity plus bonus Apply by email only with resume.