The Laboratory Technician is responsible for the efficient and professional execution of laboratory operations relating to the production at The Wine Foundry custom crush facility. This position works under supervision of the Winemakers to assure the wines produced for Wine Foundry brand and custom clients are of the highest quality and enhance the reputation.
The lab technician will be trained with all lab equipment and will work in a fast paced environment with daily deadlines. Tasks included:
QUALITY CONTROL: Works with Winemakers, for accuracy of laboratory data generated at the winery, by maintaining reagents, calibrations of equipment, training and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). Perform QC of wines to bottle (FSO2-CO2-DO). Maintain QC inventory.
DAILY LABORATORY ANALYSIS: Performs the following chemical analyses as needed: total acidity (TA), pH, free sulfur dioxide (FSO2), TSO2, Glu/Fru, Malic, NTU and DO, fining trials, bench trails. Perform Foss analysis as needed using Winescan So2 module.
HARVEST ANALYSIS: Works with Winemakers, on the analysis of field samples and incoming fruit or juice including Brix, pH, TA, and YAN and malic acid for TWF and custom clients and outside clients. Responsible of monitoring fermentations: checks brix, pH, and TA, Temp and calculate and perform inoculations and additions. Expected to read and interpret analytical results accurately and efficiently.
SAMPLING: Coordinate and schedule with production manager and cellar crew regular barrel, tank and Kegs samples for analysis and/or tasting. Generate Work orders using Innovint for Topping and additions.
RECORD KEEPING: Record, print, and distribute analysis, enzymatic procedures and results for RS and malic. Input all analysis into Innovint
-Formal education in a laboratory science and winery experience is desirable.
-Ability to work as a dynamic and contributing team member in a fast-paced environment.
-Requires knowledge of laboratory activities and responsibilities and a basic understanding of the role that lab activities play in the creation of quality wine.
- Strong mathematical skills and attention to detail are required in order to calculate, understand, document, and record laboratory results.
- Excellent communication skills (can communicate effectively in English) are required in order to work effectively with a variety of people including the winemaking, production crew and clients.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skill; ability to manage priorities and workflow
-Strong computer skills, including efficient use of Innovint software, email, word processing and spreadsheets, as well as Internet research capabilities are required.
- Proactive, must work over-time required during harvest
- Ability to build great relationships with team members
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: This position requires the following levels of physical activity:
• Moderate sitting, standing, squatting.
• Some walking, bending, climbing, reaching over and below the shoulder, carrying and lifting up to 50 pounds; grasping, pushing/pulling, and fine manipulation with both hands.
• Visual capabilities: close and distance, color, peripheral vision and adjustment of focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: This position entails exposure to the following environmental conditions:
• Marked temperature and humidity changes.
• Noise level exposure: Moderate.
BENEFITS: 401k, PTO, Medical & Dental