Harper Voit is looking for a harvest intern for the upcoming 2019 harvest season. Harper Voit is a small team led by winemaker Drew Voit who makes wine under the brand Harper Voit while also providing custom crush services to 14 clients throughout the Willamette Valley. We process roughly 150-175 tons worth of fruit in a season mostly consisting of Pinot noir, Chardonnay, Pinot blanc, and Riesling representing almost every AVA in the valley.
For 2019, we are looking for applicants, preferably, with at least one harvest under their belt but harvest experience isn't a prerequisite. Other qualifications for the ideal candidate include:
- Ability to lift 25 lbs (while we encourage proper form to avoid injury, your lifting technique will only be silently judged by the Cellar Master, not verbally unless advice solicited by applicant. If you are really good at lifting, Cellar Master may ask for advice.)
- Some scheduling flexibility (while we try to stick to schedules and have flexibility on our end, we are a small team that values picking grapes at the perfect time. This means work can be boom-or-bust depending on the readiness of the fruit.)
- Must be able to develop deep, connected relationships with grapes.
- Willingness to jump from task-to-task. Again, as a smaller operation, everyone from the top of the ladder on down will do a little bit of everything. You may be asked to do some lab work, some cellar work, lots of cleaning, and everything in between.
- Must have great communication. The variability of the work means constantly communicating with other employees to ensure the day's duties are completed efficiently and mindfully.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment. If you have seen the action movie Crank, it is a lot like that pace.
Harper Voit Harvest Intern Job Benefits:
- The size of our team and the variability of duties will mean you get lots of learning opportunities.
- Most lunches provided (no Michelin chefs preparing lunches here unfortunately. Lots of deli counter and take-out lunches will be provided. One of the favorites of the Cellar Master is chip sandwiches. Recipes will be disclosed only to the perfect applicant.)
- A competitive hourly wage based on experience.
- An environment where learning and asking questions is deeply encouraged. We value driven people looking to expand their knowledge base.
- Start and end dates of employment are open to negotiation.