Newton Vineyard is dedicated to producing ultra premium, handcrafted wines in tandem with nature. In the vineyard, Newton subscribes to low-impact farming where maturity is determined by the taste of the fruit rather than by its chemical composition. The terraced vineyard estate on Spring Mountain provides an impeccable source of Bordeaux varietals including Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon and Petit Verdot.
Newton Vineyard is a part of the Wine & Spirits Division of LVMH - Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton, the leading worldwide luxury goods company specializing in wine and spirits, fashion, leather goods, perfumes, cosmetics, watches, jewelry and selective retailing.
We are looking for skilled Harvest team members to join us this year and experience our techniques.
This position will be expected to perform beginning to intermediate cellar operations with limited supervision during Harvest season.
• Handling grape deliveries and participate in cluster sorting.
• Operate presses, de-steamers, optical sorter, crushers, must pump and grape fix lines.
• Operate forklifts.
• Perform routine operations such as racking, transfer and clarify juice and wine.
• Perform maceration operations during red fermentation (pump over, rack-and-return, aeration)
• Monitor induced and indigenous fermentations.
• Collect wine/juice samples.
• Support the laboratory by conducting routine analysis and data entry, particularly on grape samples.
• Perform intensive barrel work in caves (stirring, stacking, de-stacking, racking, filling, cleaning)
• Participate in tastings and discussions with the Winemaking team. Learn from a permanent cellar crew that average 10 years of Newton Winemaking knowledge.
Education: High school diploma or GED required.
Languages: English required, Spanish a plus.
Professional experience & know how:
• Minimum 1 harvest experience in cellar operation. Ideal of 2.
• Knowledge or ability to learn safe cellar practices, including safe handling of chemicals
• Knowledge of winery cellar operating procedures
• Ability to be trained in confined space entry process and procedures
• Ability to drive a forklift and become forklift certified.
• Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.