General Description of Duties:
Under the direction of the Director of Winemaking, this position will be involved in all winemaking operations. Responsibilities include coordination and review of activities in the 106,000 barrels and 8,700,000 gallon stainless steel cellar, oversight for all activities regarding quality assurance. Other duties include but are not limited to, juice and wine receiving and shipping, fermentation, blending, additions, filtering, stabilizing, bottling operations, and supervision and training of winery employees. The candidate should be motivated to work in an exciting, creative, fast-paced environment and must be adaptable and flexible with change.
• Organizes and oversees daily winemaking activities to coincide with schedule for Barrels Blending and Bottling requirements.
• Works with brand winemakers in the organization of winemaking activities for their wines.
• In conjunction with Director of Cellar Operations helps train in cellar practices and procedures.
• Assists in coordination of all winemaking operations with other JFW brands produced at Skylane.
• Develops and refines winemaking procedures.
• Develops and executes winemaking trials and experiments.
• Manages at the highest level for quality control and compliance standards in the cellars.
• Prepares and updates procedural and quality control policies and manuals.
• Participates in regular sensory evaluation trials and tastings.
• Assists the data entry department in maintaining records and inventories of all wine movements.
• Participates in vineyard coordination with winery operations and ultimately knows the vineyard intimately.
• Periodically participates in PR, sales and marketing events and educational tours and tastings.
• BS degree in Enology, Fermentation Science or other related major.
• Four years of winemaking/wine production/cellar experience.
• Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
• Strong work ethic and detail organization skills.
• Computer literacy (MS Word and Excel)
• Must be willing to work flexible hours, especially during harvest.
• Spanish proficiency is a plus.
• Clean DMV record.