Mendocino Wine Company and Parducci Wine Cellars, a family owned winery located in Ukiah, is seeking an experienced Cellar Worker to join our team. Parducci Wine Cellars is Mendocino County’s oldest winery, producing legendary wine – expressing both varietal character and terroir – for over 87 years.
Our Cellar Worker position is responsible for supporting the Cellarmaster with wine production activities through crush, fermentation, clarification, aging, blending, and bottling. Join our team to continue an exciting career in the wine industry with opportunity for knowledge, career growth and development.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following: Other duties may be assigned.
• Complete work orders for all wine movements, crushing of grapes, additions, etc. in a detailed manner for submission to Winemaking Admin for AMS entry
• Perform tank to tank wine movements
• Perform chemical additions as instructed from work orders and daily work plan submitted from Winemaking team
• Set up for bulk wine shipments in and out of the winery
• Perform filtration of wine to prepare wine for bottling
• Use forklift to move barrels for racking, washing, filling, etc
• Perform monthly sulfur additions and topping of barrels as requested
• Prepare barrels for wine storage
• Perform weekly barrel bung checks
• Use of the barrel washer unit for sanitizing oak barrels
• Perform empty barrel storage procedure
• Perform barrel filling procedure
• Pull barrel, tank, crush samples for Laboratory or Winemaker as requested
• Assist on bottling line when required
• Inform Cellar Master if problems, concerns, safety issues arise
• Understand and perform all specific operations for handling organic grapes and wine
• Understand and know how to operate all safety shutoffs and lock out tag out procedures
• Ability to operate equipment to gas headspace of partial tanks (nitrogen or co2)
• Confined space entry for oak installation and tank cleaning when needed
• Perform filtration to prepare wine for bottling
• Perform floor sanitation including broom work, power washing, and chemical usage
• Perform sanitation of stainless steel tanks
• Prepare barrels for wine storage (water fill, drain, and inspect)
• Use of the barrel washer unit and steam generator for sanitizing oak barrels
• Perform empty barrel storage procedure (wash, drain, sulfur wicks, bung up, and stack)
• Understand be able to perform organic sanitation of equipment and containers
• Return all hoses, fittings, equipment, etc to original location in clean condition after use
• Remove garbage and recycling to correct dump bins
ADDITIONAL HARVEST DUTIES:
• Operate grape bin hoist to dump grapes at the hopper
• Rake out grapes from grape bins
• Operate forklift for dumping stems, pommace, and small plastic grape bins
• Understand basic maintenance, operation, and cleaning of hopper screw, crusher/destemmer, and stem dump screw
• Drive pommace/stem dump truck to selected compost sites
• Shovel Pommace from fermentation tanks
• Follow pumpover and punching instructions
• Know and perform all specific operations for handling organic fruit and wine
• Prepare must lines and tanks for receiving grapes to correct locations
• Understand and know how to perform confined space entry for removing pomace
• Perform grape press operation
• Perform juice racking and lees filtration
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: High school diploma or certificate and three (3) years of experience in winemaking or alcohol production field required.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read and analyze technical procedures or governmental regulations. Ability to write work orders and business correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers and coworkers. Ability to read, write and converse in fluent English requested.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, and volume.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and taste or smell. Must be able to climb and stand on ladders. Must not have a fear of heights. The employee is occasionally required to sit; use hands to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works near electrical and motorized equipment and may be exposed to damp, hot and/or cold work environments.
Regular work hours are Monday through Friday 7am to 4pm. Extended work days and hours, including weekends, are required during the harvest season (August through November). Candidate must be 21 years of age. Respirator Fit testing and ability to be forklift certified are required. Candidate must have valid drivers license and clean driving record.
Mendocino Wine Company offers competitive compensation and a full benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life and Long Term Disability coverage, 401(k) Plan with employer match, PTO, paid holidays, fresh organic produce and eggs from our farm, and more!