The Wine Group is one of the top leaders in the wine industry. As a privately held management-owned company with 12 wineries in California, New York, and Australia, we thrive to win with exceptional people who share our values. We produce many well-known brands including Franzia, Cupcake, Chloe, Flip Flop, Save Me San Francisco, Insurrection, Concannon, Benziger and Imagery.
Lab Technician is responsible for performing non-routine/ routine chemical/physical analysis, tests required for quality control, research and development purposes for the evaluation of raw ingredients, and products and processes during our "Crush" season. Assists in compiling, analyzing and interpreting results.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
* Perform wine quality analysis pertaining to grape maturity, White and Red juice analysis, fermentation tracking, press analysis, monthly QC, barrel monitoring, cellar/aging operations, storage, tank/line sanitation and bottling QC
* Ensures accurate operations of all laboratory equipment/instrumentation such as ChemWell, Alcolyzer, Spectrophotometers, pH meters, ColdStab, filterability, etc.Ability to troubleshoot when necessary to ensure accurate results
* Performs non-routine and routine analysis utilizing appropriate distillation, titrimetric, colorimetric and instrumental methods as required.
* Operates laboratory instruments such as a refractometer, balances, turbid meters, and other instruments as required to perform duties
* Maintain and calibrate analytical instruments in the laboratory in optimum operation condition.Work directly with suppliers technical staff to resolve maintenance issues.Recommend new equipment and assists in selecting suppliers and appropriate accessories for proposed equipment
* Understands the proper use and preparation of standardized chemical solutions used in the laboratory. Ability to perform preparations when needed
* Executes data collection, analysis and reporting of monthly analysis on Inventory of wines held in cellar. Accurately report analysis and flag possible issues
* Validates methods and equipment using a range of analytical techniques and instrumentation
* This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for their job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice
* BS in Enology, Chemistry, Food Science or related field or equivalent of 5 years industry experience
* Previous winery experience desired but we will consider training the right person
* Good working and theoretical knowledge of analytical instrumentation
* Ability to work in an environment that has changing priorities and multiple projects
* Proficient in the following computer applications: Microsoft Word, Excel, VA and ability to learn new programs
* Excellent organizational & interpersonal skills with attention to detail
* Ability to set priorities and work independently within set guidelines
* Strong knowledge of production/manufacturing operations
* Provide good verbal and written communications to all levels of management, both internally and externally
* Prioritize while able to adapt to changing priorities
* Demonstrated reliability and punctuality, work effectively in team/crew environment, adherence to all safety regulations and operating procedures
* Must be able to frequently lift and carry weights of up to 50 pounds at varying frequencies
* Working environment is both indoors and outdoors, with exposure to related equipment and noise levels
* Ability to perform tasks requiring bending, stooping, standing, and twisting in the performance of various task in the production environment
* Occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
The Wine Group is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
See Job Description