ASSISTANT WINEMAKER TO WINEMAKER/VINEYARD MANAGER
• Top New York State winery, celebrating 33 years of award-winning wine making, seeks individual as Assistant Winemaker/Cellar Manager to then shift to Winemaker/Vineyard Manager after successful transition period.
• Ideal candidate must have:
o A strong, hands on work ethic and a keen desire to learn, analyze, and contribute to the design and manufacture of world class quality wines.
o Must have viticultural experience and a passion to grow quality fruit for the winery’s exclusive use.
o Must have proven experience in wine making and cellar management skills.
Initial Responsibilities - Assistant Winemaker and Cellar Manager
1. Assists the Vice President of Production/Head Winemaker with the implementation and directing of all aspects of grape and wine processing. Receiving grapes, crushing, fermentation, filtration, stabilization, blending, bench trials, bottling, quality control and finishing of wines.
2. Assists the Vice President of Production/Head Winemaker with quality assessments of grapes prior to harvest and bulk wines prior to finishing.
3. Assists the Vice President of Production/Head Winemaker with the operation and management of the wine cellar.
4. Monitors storage conditions, maintenance and sparging of head space, topping of barrels, assist the winemaker with the SO2 program.
5. Assist in select marketing and sales functions throughout the year.
1. General sanitation & safety.
2. Barrel preparation, cleaning, filling and wine additions.
3. Forklift driving.
4. Bottling and labeling.
5. Tank preparation and sanitation.
6. Stirring & topping white wine barrels
7. Topping red wine barrels.
8. Fruit weighing.
9. Racking of wines.
10. General cellar maintenance.
11. General harvest work – punch downs, press filling, barrel filling, clean up & lead man on fruit sorting crews.
12. Set up/clean up and prepare production tastings.
13. Help with the propagation & expansion of yeast and ML cultures.
14. Lab work: alcohols, T/A, pH, V/A, Brix, ML chromatograms, etc.
15. Maintain winery water chlorination system.
Ideal Candidate Qualifications
• BS and/or MS in Enology/Viticulture or equivalent experience.
• Certified Pest Control Advisor – PCA.
• Ability to motivate and supervise members of the cellar team in their daily activities while feeling comfortable receiving and carrying out instructions from the Vice President of Production/Head Winemaker.
• Excellent communication skills and a willingness to interact with visitors and press representatives.
• Strong, self-motivated initiative and the ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Knowledge and ability in the following areas: Chemistry, Microbiology, Mechanics, Electrical, HVAC, Computers, Hydraulics and Plumbing.
• Spanish language skills to manage H2A vineyard workers.
Compensation and Benefits
• Initial salary based upon relevant experience and duration of relevant experience - $50k to $65k.
• Two-bedroom house and utilities provided.
• Eligible for annual bonus at management discretion.
• Individual Monthly Medical – $400 contribution to premium.
• 401K available.
• Potential equity participation after successful transition.
• Must be able to lift and carry 50lbs continuously.
• Position initially reports to: Vice President of Production/Winemaker/Vineyard Manager & General Manager
About Millbrook Vineyards and Winery
Millbrook Vineyards & Winery is the premier wine estate in the Hudson Valley wine region of New York. Owned and operated by Pebble Ridge Vineyards & Wine Estates, a wine group devoted to producing the very finest wines of their particular growing regions. Millbrook began in 1982 as an abandoned 130-acre dairy farm by Pebble Ridge Chairman and C.E.O., John S. Dyson and General Manager David H. Bova. Winemaker John Graziano joined soon after and in 1985 their first vintage was bottled. Millbrook Vineyards & Winery celebrated its 33rd vintage in 2018. Today, the Millbrook estate bottled wine roster includes the highly regarded Tocai Friulano, Chardonnay, Riesling, Gruner Veltliner, Pinot Noir, and Cabernet Franc. The winery produces more than 15,000 cases of wine annually. Millbrook Vineyards & Winery offers guided tours and tastings at their breathtaking grounds. The Tasting Room sits within the original dairy barn and is open 7 days a week.