Come join the team at our stunning Oakville property. We are an energetic group, passionate about making the very best wines possible. We are looking for a stellar hands-on cellar worker, ready to join a small well-established team. Will often work unsupervised so needs to be self-driven and enthusiastic. Most of the year will work in the cellar as part of our proficient and efficient team. During the busy harvest period, we need the successful candidate to help train, supervise and motivate our small group of interns.
This position is responsible for performing all cellar duties proficiently to ensure a safe work environment, producing very high quality wines in a precise and efficient manner. During harvest, this position will perform cellar work directly as well as assigning work to and supervising work by seasonal cellar workers and interns.
Cellar operations include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Performs all daily cellar functions relating to juice and wine including: racking, pumping, fining and filtering.
• Operates all cellar equipment, including filters, presses, and crush equipment competently while following all relevant safety procedures.
• Performs tank measurements, conversions and additions according to company procedure and within the capacity of each tank.
• Performs all routine and complex barrel work including; set up, filling, pumping out, toping, sanitizing and repairing barrels to ensure their good condition.
• Performs sanitation duties in all areas of cellar operations. Sterilizes tanks, barrels (interior and exterior) and wine equipment (pumps, hoses, sumps, facility floors, drains) according to company procedures.
• Performs harvest related activities for crush operation. Operates crusher and press equipment, obtains lab samples, dispose of lees and cleans equipment.
• Assists in the receiving of grapes and accurately completes weigh tags and other paperwork as needed.
• Completes and follows work orders accurately for additions of additives as instructed by winemaker. Assists in inventory of wine, barrels and supplies
• Performs work safely and follows company procedures at all times. Perform daily safety check on selected forklift prior to operating.
• Safely and proficiently operates forklift to include barrel stacking and bin dumping.
• Constantly alert, reports anything out of the ordinary to supervisor.
• Provides recommendations to improve cellar methods to Cellar Supervisor.
• In conjunction with Cellar Master and/or Winemaker trains, supervises and motivates seasonal workers and harvest interns ensuring that they follow safety guidelines and company SOPs.
• Oversees harvest operations - Receiving, processing, sorting, pressing, racking and additions
• Performs or delegates punch-downs & pump-overs
• Advises Cellar Master and/or Winemaker of any wine quality issues such as VA, films, or other wine defects
• Provides input on all cellar SOPs and helps ensure the cellar crew is trained and following them
• Maintains cooperative and pleasant relationships with colleagues.
• High school diploma or equivalent
• Minimum THREE years winery production experience in a cellar leadership role
• Valid Unrestricted Driver’s License required
• Proactive, honest, trustworthy, and independent
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience with fine winemaking
• Willing to work flexible work schedule with overtime as requested to accommodate the needs of cellar especially during bottling and harvest.
• Willing to work additional hours and days as needed during harvest and bottling.
• Good judgment with the ability to make timely and sound decisions
• Team player mentality, passion, and enthusiasm for winemaking
• Thorough understanding of cellar machinery such as pumps (air, positive displacement, centrifugal, flexible), gas regulators, DO meter, thermostats, tank washers, assembling of (tank valves, tank breathers), sulfur dispenser, pressure washer, air compressors, hot water system, hot/cold glycol system etc.
• Ability to program tank thermostat and glycol settings.
• Ability to accomplish multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to solve problems in a creative and innovative manner.
• Strong attention to detail, producing a high level of accurate results.
• Strong math skills – proficient at calculating rates of addition and converting units of measure.
• Fluent English, both written and verbal with the ability to read and write in English.
• Basic Spanish written and verbal preferred.
• Previous forklift certification preferred.