Rooted in rebellion. Commitment to regenerate.
Celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2018, Fetzer Vineyards is an award-winning purveyor of wines and spirits spanning multiple origins and available in more than 50 countries worldwide. In addition to robust offerings under the winery’s flagship Fetzer label, the winery also crafts the leading wine from organic grapes, Bonterra Organic Vineyards. Other California offerings include Adorada, Anthony’s Hill, Jekel Vineyards, Sanctuary Wines and 1000 Stories, the original Bourbon barrel-aged wine. Part of global winery Viña Concha y Toro, Fetzer Vineyards imports iconic South American wines such as Chile’s most-acclaimed wine, Don Melchor, as well as the Cono Sur, Viña Maipo, Marques de Casa Concha, Casillero del Diablo and Frontera labels from Chile, in addition to Argentina’s Trivento Reserve. Recently, Fetzer Vineyards entered the ultra-luxury wine and spirits category by forging a partnership with Kentucky Peerless Distilling Co. to sell its historic craft rye whiskey.
During the Harvest season, we are looking to hire a Harvest Viticultural Technician for the Southern Interior Valley. This is a great role for those looking to gain experience in the wine industry, new graduates seeking Harvest-related experience or retirees looking for an interim role that takes one to gorgeous vineyards and outdoor vistas throughout the Southern Interior Valley.
In this role, you will be responsible for collecting field data including cluster counts, weights and general phenological data as well as perform field sugar testing of grapes for approximately 12-14 weeks. The Vit Tech will have the opportunity to work with the grower relations team as well as winemakers.
This temporary position lasts through Harvest with an estimated duration of
mid-July to mid-November 2019.
Southern Interior Valley focused position: The Southern Interior Valley role will spend a majority of the time in Stanislaus and Fresno counties. The role will average 2-3 days a week.The ideal candidate will be located within close proximity to Fresno. The Company provides standard mileage reimbursement for business-related miles while in the field.
• Collect cluster counts and weights.
• Monitor and undertake sugar sampling (brix samples) of grapes in designated areas of the vineyards in a timely and accurate manner.
• Record and report results to grower relations team/supervisor on a daily basis.
• Record and track time and mileage for payroll.
• Assist with vineyard monitoring and related tasks such as doing crop estimates, observing grape ripeness characteristics and record keeping of sugar sampling results.
• Ability to communicate in a professional and effective manner with people in the organization (written & verbal).
• Must provide own vehicle, valid CDL and auto insurance.
• Requires rigorous walking and physical work in vineyards with steep and/or uneven terrain.
• May require work in extreme weather such as heat for extended periods of time.
• Willingness to travel within the counties.
• Early morning hours and some Saturday work required.
• Self-directed with the ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
• Detail oriented with excellent record keeping skills.
• Data entry and computer work required.
• Must adapt easily to daily changes in schedules, plans and priorities.
• Professional attitude and proper representation of the Company with growers and the public.
• Team work with internal and external contacts.
• Viticulture knowledge, a plus (but not required).
• A passion for or interest in agriculture.
Ability to lift and carry 50 lbs. as needed; ability to drive motor vehicles to assigned ranches, work locations and offices; able to work in all weather conditions including but not limited to heat, cold, wet and windy. Ability to walk and perform physical work in vineyards with steep and/or uneven terrain, mud, dust and soft soil. Ability to climb, crawl, squat, kneel, and bend. Sitting, hand/finger dexterity, and working at computer or in an office or shop setting required. Valid CA Driver License.
About Fetzer Vineyards:
Our California winery operation includes 1000 acres of farmed vineyards and nearly 3 million cases produced annually. Operations include Mendocino County winery, production and vineyard locations. The company employs about 330 across the United States.
Multiple Positions Available In:
Southern Interior Valley (Fresno), Interior Valley (Lodi area), North Coast (Mendocino & Lake Counties) and Central Coast areas.
Fetzer Vineyards’ corporate office is located at 12901 Old River Rd Hopland, CA 95449 Hopland is a small town of less than 800 people located at the start of the Redwoods of Northern California. It is about a two hour drive, along scenic U.S. Route 101, north of San Francisco.
To Apply: Tell us about your passion for the wine industry and send your resume to: http://FetzerVineyards.appone.com.
Requires successful completion of criminal background, DMV check, (if applicable) and drug screen. AA/EOE/M/F/D/V
You will be required to submit verification of your citizenship or legal right to work in the United States at the time of an offer of employment.