This role will create and execute a thorough import and sales strategy, annual plan and budget to reach desired sales targets for a family of 5 international brands.
Work in conjunction with the Brand Management of the respective wineries to foster adoption and adherence of brand standards and identity throughout sales team across the U.S. wholesale network. Deliver desired profit outcomes while building an enduring network of commercial relationships in the two and three-tier sales channels.
Responsible for building and leading a dynamic and engaged sales team to develop and drive sales for all winery brands across the U.S. This includes channel strategy, effective distributor alignment and communications. Create a market strategy for process, planning, and collaboration efforts both externally and internally.
The Vice President of Sales will build efficiencies and standardization of routine processes including communications from corporate to the sales organization for scalability and profitability.
• Responsibility for achieving monthly/quarterly/annual sales targets through distributor and Regional Sales Representative (RSR) management on volume and value by SKU as set out in the annual budget with wineries
• Upselling the respective product ranges to increase profitability
• Determining strategic direction for the annual sales plan and implementing tactical plans to ensure achievement of the annual sales objectives
• Constructing and implementing the product/channel grid according to the strategy of the respective wineries
• Preparing the annual operational expenditure budget for the costs related to national sales
• Ontime sales reporting highlighting performance variations reflecting on activities and outlining plans and initiatives by region
• Growing the customer base and expanding current listings in accordance with wineries’ strategic plans
• Nurturing healthy relations and maintaining regular communication with distributors with ongoing responsibility for the development of distributor accountability and alignment for all brands when appropriate
• Overall management of the distributor transition and change process, as well as the creation and implementation of programs that further expand the capabilities of our distributor partners
• Implementing and maintaining detailed CRM platform for all brands to be used by entire sales team to chart market development.
• Ensuring regular market feedback to wineries
• Ensuring that the RSR’s are fully updated as regards product and corporate information
• Ensuring that distributor partners are fully updated and sufficiently aware of the goals, strategies, and products wineries
• National travel for winery visits, management meetings and work-withs with the RSR’s
• Define and execute strategies to optimize the use of market, shopper, and consumer information/insights within the sales organization
• Oversee development of reporting measures, including scorecards and KPIs that support commercial strategy achievement, positively impact the organization’s understanding of business performance and ability to seize in-market selling opportunities
• Ensure that proper inventory PARs are always maintained with special attention paid to international
• Collaborate with operational staff to monitor warehousing and inventory management with an eye towards costs and profitability
• Periodic logistic audits to ensure best pricing and handling of products
• Ensure all required Federal and State licensing is up to date
• Develop and maintain overall internal sales meeting structure as well as team development & review structure for entire sales and support teams
• Frequent spontaneous communication with management, winemakers and marketing managers
• Support RSR to ensure regular and strategic market work aligned with sales goals and strategic plans
• Provide the necessary guidance, reporting, and support to assist them in achieving their sales goal within their T and E budgets
• Identifying and reporting of competitive activity, such as new product launches, sales activation drives, price promotions, etc
• Implementing promotions/incentives in the On and Off Premise in line with wineries’ strategic sales plans
• Identifying needs for marketing collateral (P.O.S. items, etc) and arranging same with respective marketing offices
• Approve all operational costs billed back to wineries, within budget parameters
QUALIFICATIONS AND WORK EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s Degree Required (business administration or other industry related curriculum)
• Graduate Degree preferred (MBA, MS or equivalent curriculum)
• Minimum of ten years of management experience U.S. fine wine and spirits business, with a special emphasis on luxury wine categories. Management of luxury import winery brands is also a preference for this role
• Must have advanced leadership and management skills with a proven track record of effective delegating and directing to meet and exceed goals
• Must be able to regularly pick up 40 pounds and have a good driving record
• Can live in any major market in the United States