Scheid Family Wines, a leader in the Monterey County wine industry is looking for a lab technician. This position is an essential part of the winemaking and laboratory Team. Responsibilities include the monitoring of the wines by chemical, microbiological, and organoleptic analysis. The areas of focus will be the organization and preparation of samples and performance of laboratory analysis. Including the microbiological testing for our bottle sterility program, and the validations and calibrations of laboratory equipment. The successful candidate will have familiarity with a winery laboratory environment, basic winery processes, and basic chemical and microbiological techniques used in the lab. This position is located at our winery in Greenfield, CA.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Perform routine analysis at all stages of the winemaking process
• Complete microbiological analysis as needed utilizing sterile microbiological techniques
• Gather and prepare samples for tastings and analysis
• Provide general quality control support for Laboratory and winemaking staff
• Assist in the organoleptic analysis of wines.
• Assist with bench trials and trial blends for finishing wines
• Gather and prepare samples for winemaking staff tasting and R/D projects
• Assist in preparation of laboratory reagents and solutions
• Perform sanitation, validations and calibration of laboratory equipment
• Data entry of all laboratory analysis
• Participates in our food safety and certification programs as needed
• Perform all required analysis in accordance with established SOPs, Good Laboratory practices and in compliance with established certifications and standards
• Maintain clean lab work areas and assist with the set-up and clean-up of group wine tastings
• Follows all GMPs related to BRC and ensures work area meets food safety standards.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s degree in Enology, Microbiology, Chemistry, Fermentation Science or Food Science
• 2 years lab experience, preferably within the wine industry
• Valid driver license
• Ability to perform basic calculations, conversions, proportions, percentages, etc.
• Analytical instrumentation skills and proficient at performing basic lab functions and analysis
• Ability to multitask and work in a fast-paced environment
• Proficient at MS Office and capable of learning simple database programs
• Team player with strong communication skills
• Standing, sitting, walking in the following settings: laboratory, office, winery, bottling production area, warehouse facility.
• Use of arms and hands for using telephone, computer, and lab/winemaking equipment.
• Occasionally required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, or crouch.
• Must be able to lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
• Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a complete listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities or activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Scheid Vineyards, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.