We are a successful global wine importer, wholesaler and management company, headquartered in Napa. We sell wines to airlines and cruise lines and are an industry leader in this market. We have been in this highly specialized field for over 26 years and are growing!
We are proud to have a very positive and unique company culture that is based on integrity, innovation and fun! You will have the opportunity to work with an energetic, talented, highly collaborative and forward-thinking group of professionals who love what they do and are good at it! If you are nimble and agile and looking for your next adventure in personal and professional growth – then this is the place for you!
The Wine Buyer is a key member of the Acquisitions team which sources wine and other alcoholic beverages for complex airline and cruise line beverage programs. This role will be responsible for the negotiation of wine prices and quantities with a wide array of wineries, all over the world. The Wine Buyer is an ambassador of the company and an outward facing role that interacts a lot with vendors.
The position is best suited for someone who is enthusiastic about international business activities, understands the nuances of doing business with many different cultures, has exceptional attention to details, and has the ability to manage a high volume of conflicting priorities under tight deadlines. Successful candidates are able to work well in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
This is a full-time position based in our Napa office. Intervine provides medical benefits, paid holidays, paid time off, and a 401(k) plan with company contribution.
• 2 - 4 years of relevant work experience demonstrating negotiations, purchasing and communication capabilities
• Proven ability to work on numerous projects at one time
• Comprehensive knowledge of wines and wine regions with advanced credentials from WSET, SWE, or other well recognized wine education programs
• Detail oriented and business minded
• Very clear and effective communicator
• Sensitive to and understanding of diverse cultures
• Advanced user of Microsoft Excel, Word and Powerpoint
• Knowledge of compliance is a plus
• BA/BS preferred
Roles and Responsibilities
• Serves as one of the resident wine experts and shows an insatiable curiosity about wine producers, products, and regions who demonstrates negotiation and business skills related to buying across a broad spectrum of price points
• Participates in wine tastings and makes recommendations on flavor profiles based on the client’s direction
• Organize sourced wines into offer spreadsheets per client’s unique needs
• Works closely with internal departments on understanding client needs and contract fulfilment requirements
• Serves as main point of contact with domestic and international wineries
• Sourcing of requested wine profiles for clients
• Ability to interact with and take direction from client wine consultants
• Ability to convey complex contractual requirements to winery partners
• Understand logistics of wine transportation
• Ability to explain the unique marketing potential of the travel sales channel to wineries
• Ability to switch gears quickly
• Understand what other departments do in order to communicate client needs effectively to wineries
• Data entry of wines, pricing, collection details, etc.
• Contract management after sourcing is complete: deal with any issues that may arise between the time a wine is collected until it is delivered to the client
• Travel for sourcing, both domestically and internationally
• Arranging winery visits and hosting clients at wineries for hospitality events
• Assembling and coordinating assembly of marketing materials and presentations
• General understanding of wine distribution channels in the US
Please submit your resume and a cover letter including something interesting about you that may not be on your resume.