Peju Province Winery is a family owned and operated boutique winery that has been a landmark in the Napa Valley for 25 years and is growing rapidly. We use organically farmed local fruit from our sustainable vineyards to produce a hand crafted blend of perfect wine. At Peju Province Winery we are committed to protecting the environment through our sustainable farming practices, harvesting the sun to operate our winery and finding great people to work in our family business.
This position is responsible for strategic financial management and tactical accounting operations of Peju Family Wineries and entities. The position maximizes return on investment, cash flow generation and profitability. Establishes financial policies, procedures, controls, budgets, and reporting systems and ensures timely and accurate reporting. Provides recommendations to enhance growth and key objectives of the company. Monitors inventory, assets and regulatory compliance.
• Lead the accounting department staff and outside vendors to ensure financial accuracy, cost control and reporting.
• Manages the accounting team of accountants including a Senior Accountant, Staff Accountant and Accounts Receivable/Payable.
• Ensure timely performance of heavy deadline driven workloads involving fiscal decisions.
• Works with additional leadership to focus on continuous improvement and process improvement
• Develop, implement and maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures.
• Ensure all financial winery and family information remains confidential and secure.
• Effectively manage and control accounting department operational functions to deliver timely, accrate and effective information. Establish and deliver department objectives.
• Manage all aspects of financial and accounting systems and processes including; compliance, A/P, A/R and revenue accounting, payroll, fixed assets and general ledger functions and internal financial reporting.
• Ensure daily, monthly, quarterly and annual subsidiary ledgers are accurately maintained.
• Manage and correspond with outsourced functions ensuring performance is achieved according to company standards. (ie. payroll, tax and compliance)
• Turn in year end reporting to CPA firm by January 31st of each year.
CONTROL & RECONCILIATION ACCOUNTING FUNCTIONS
• Develop and maintain systems of control for accounting transactions.
• Create, audit and maintain effective chart of accounts and ensure costs are coded accurately.
• Perform monthly closing of all accounts ensuring detailed and accurate reconciliations are documented and filed for all balance sheet and income statement accounts.
• Manage expense allocations from various departments and ensure accurate account coding.
• Manage, track, reconcile and record all inventory movements and ensure month- end inventory physical count and reconciliation is accurately recorded to accounting system.
• Ensure annual inventory workout plan is completed and approve with department managers.
• Prepare harvest analysis by vineyard, annually.
• Prepare bottling analysis, annually
• Ensure bank reconciliations are completed on a monthly basis.
• Ensure required debt payments are made on a timely basis.
• Maintain an orderly accounting filing system.
• Maintain fixed asset lists and related depreciation schedules.
• Monitor cash flow and report changes/needs on a timely basis to Owner.
• Other duties and projects may be assigned to meet business needs.
REPORTING & BUDGETING
• Deliver monthly sales and financial reports to Owner and department heads. Improve reports and provide executive summary, analysis and recommendations.
• Lead the annual budgeting process, preparation and presentation. Provide guidance to department heads for effective budget formation and management.
• Calculate variances from prior & current year budget and relay significant issues to department managers.
• Provide financial analysis and recommendations as needed for capital investments, pricing and costing decisions, and contract negotiations.
• Provide forecasts and other timely accounting and financial information to owners and department managers and banks.
• Complete quarterly reporting to banks.
Oversee and prepare all winery compliance reporting to meet regulations.
• Ensure all licenses and permits remain valid and apply for new permits as required for business operation.
• Conduct annual 401k reporting, audit and financial review.
• Comply with all workers compensation reporting requirements, filings and audits.
• Manage and ensure winery production compliance reporting is completed and filed.
• Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings such as sales tax, property tax, excise tax and import tax.
• Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting
• 7 years of experience in all aspects of accounting in the wine industry.
• Proven ability to manage accounting functions to drive business results.
• Strong attention to detail, producing a high level of accurate results.
• Proven ability to manage and build a team
• High standards of confidentiality
• Excellent verbal and written communication
• Ability to demonstrate discretion, good judgment, tactfulness and diplomacy
• Ability to work in fast paced environment and effectively manage time.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and prioritize key business needs.
• Ability to solve problems in a creative and innovative manner.
• Strong organizational, problem solving and analytical skills
• Strong working knowledge of MS Office, AMS is highly preferred
• Versatility, flexibility and the ability to adapt to changes with enthusiasm
• Outstanding interpersonal skills to build and enhance internal and external relationships.