We are currently seeking a Wine Lab Assistant for our client in Oxnard, CA. If interested, please email your resume ASAP.
The Lab Assistant is responsible for performing routine wine chemistry analyses in an accurate and timely manner and in accordance with good lab practices. In addition, this position also performs tests required for quality control and research and development purposes for the evaluation of raw ingredients. The Lab Assistant also aids in compiling, analyzing and interpreting lab test results.
This position does not have any supervisory duties. The Lab Assistant may be required to work Sundays and evenings on occasion, as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Performs the following duties, but not limited to:
• Uses densitometer for measuring specific gravity, brix and temperature;
• Preparation of next day paperwork for sampling and recording data;
• Perform wine quality analysis pertaining to grape maturity, White and Red juice analysis, fermentation tracking, press analysis, monthly QC, barrel monitoring, cellar/aging operations, storage, and bottling QC;
• Ensures accurate operations of all laboratory equipment/instrumentations;
• Troubleshoots when necessary to ensure accurate results;
• Performs non-routine and routine analysis utilizing appropriate distillation, titrimetric, colorimetric and instrumental methods as required;
• Operates laboratory instruments such as a refractometer, balances, turbidimeters, and other instruments as required to perform duties;
• Maintain and calibrate analytical instruments in the laboratory in optimum operation condition;
• Ability to make reagents;
• Executes data collection, analysis and reporting of monthly analysis on Inventory of wines held in cellar. Accurately report analysis and flags possible issues;
• Validates methods and equipment using a range of analytical techniques and instrumentation;
• Performs standard checks and analysis of wines;
• Cleans and maintains quality of laboratory instruments;
• Performs rechecks as required to confirm abnormal results;
• Data entry, read and interpret analytical results accurately and efficiently;
• Maintains legible and accurate lab records;
• Maintains files and organized record management;
• Utilizes personal protection equipment as required;
• Safely operates forklift to meet production needs as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Forklift certification required. Proficient in using Microsoft’s Office Suite including Word and Excel.
Education and/or Experience: Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in Enology, Viticulture, Biology, Chemistry, Fermentation Science, Nutritional Science, Food Science, Microbiology, related field or equivalent. Prior production experience in a wine lab environment is preferred, but not required.
Knowledge / Technical Skills: Duties require professional verbal and written communication skills. Strong organizational and problem-solving; able to manage priorities and workflow with strong ability to meet deadlines. Demonstrated reliability and punctuality, work effectively in team/crew environment, adherence to all safety regulations and operating procedures.
Customer Service Skills: Politeness, confidence, tact, patience and diplomacy while dealing with complex and confidential situations. Excellent communication skills and the ability to deal effectively across all levels of the business organization are necessary. The ability to maintain a professional and courteous relationship with all. Excellent project management and decision-making skills.