Job Title: Estate Host
Department: Tasting Room
Reports to: Director for DTC
FSLA Status: Exempt, Part Time
SUMMARY: The Estate Host is a front line representative of our boutique, family owned and operated winery. This role requires an enthusiastic, dynamic and positive professional with a passion for wine and hospitality. They will provide an outstanding and unforgettable experience to each guest, creating a unique, fun and warm environment that leads to wine sales and club memberships. The Estate Host will sell wine through three Direct-to-Consumer channels of tasting room, outbound sales, and email, and will support the Director in developing programs and promotions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following are the essential, but not exclusive duties for this job. Additional responsibilities may be assigned based on business needs.
• Sell wine and club memberships to tasting room guests, club members and email list
• Explain the benefits of the wine club to every guest and offer them the opportunity to join
• Promote the sale of wine and merchandise sold in the tasting room
• Pursue sales opportunities through phone calls and email
• Meet sales monthly and annual sales goals
• Provide the first line of communication with tasting room guests by greeting, directing and sharing knowledge on our wines, merchandise, history and property
• Communicate in a knowledgeable, professional, informal, and gracious manner that is consistent with the standards of Stuhlmuller Winery
• Serve samples of wine while engaging guests in individual and group settings
• Lead guests on spontaneous tours when business levels and coverage allow
• Lead unique tours and experiences that reflect the Stuhlmuller Vineyard brand and expand the guests’ context for the brand, our wines, wine making, the land, & County
• Be knowledgeable in Sonoma County and share your passion for the region with guests
• Write thank you notes to key customers and new members
• Participate in industry, community and club events on property
• Pour wine and educate guests on Stuhlmuller Vineyards and wines at off-site pouring’s
• Be an ambassador of Stuhlmuller Vineyards in the community
• Communicate business updates to coworkers and supervisor
• Attend and participate in monthly staff meetings and 1:1 meetings with supervisor
• Operate the POS system (Wine Direct) to transact sales and maintain tasting room inventory
• Reconcile daily sales and posts transactions
• Replenish merchandise items the tasting room and all front of house supplies
• Maintain, evaluate and provide periodic reports on the guest comments
• Perform opening and closing checklists
• Process club sign ups
• ID guests to ensure each is of legal age to consume alcohol
• Perform general facility housekeeping, to include tasting room, restrooms, patios, and break areas
• Ensure all areas are clean, neat, stocked and represent the Stuhlmuller Vineyards standards
• Other duties as assigned
• This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Computer skills with various software packages including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and point-of-sale applications preferred
• Strong verbal and written skills with the ability to speak in front of people
• Ability to establish priorities, work independently and proceed with objectives with minimal supervision
• Interpersonal awareness, relationship management and influencing skills
• Be proactive and have strong organizational skills including exceptional attention to detail and follow-through
• Database management and high-level guest service skills
• Wine knowledge and appreciation are necessary for this position
• Availability to work, holidays, weekends, and evening events, as required
• Previous customer service and retail experience preferred
• Ability to stand for extended periods of time
Education and/or Experience:
• Minimum of one to three years related experience.
• High School diploma or AA degree, or a combination of education and experience.
• Must be 21 or older.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures and governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, customers and the general public.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Ability to transact, compute monetary figures, manage cash and credit card transactions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Events can have higher level of noise at times.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the