The Red Hook Winery, an urban winery on Pier 41 in Red Hook, Brooklyn, is seeking a strong & organized Tasting Room Manager for its tasting room, which is open daily from noon - 6pm.
The Red Hook Winery was founded in 2008 to highlight New York State viticulture. We make our wines on-site from 100% New York grapes. Our winemakers – Robert Foley, Abe Schoener, and Christopher Nicolson – vinify unique expressions of the climate, geology, and agriculture that make New York unlike any other growing region in the world.
The Tasting Room Manager oversees all aspects and functions of the Tasting Room, as well as education and communication between the winery and wholesale representatives.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about and experienced with New York wines, in a restaurant or winery tasting room setting. At least 3 years of restaurant or tasting room management experience is required. Wine knowledge must be advanced to expert level—you will be the face of The Red Hook Winery, and need to communicate fluently about wine with the public and trade customers.
Prior experience in winery operations, production, or compliance is a plus.
This is a physical, on-your-feet position. You must be able to regularly lift 40+ pounds (case of wine).
This is a full-time, exempt position. The workweek is normally five days (averaging 40-50 hours per week); weekends and most holidays are required—these are our busiest days! A flexible schedule is occasionally necessary to work with private parties, community events, trade tastings, and other on- and off-site events.
Manage Operations of Tasting Room
• Oversee hiring, training, scheduling, and performance management of TR Staff
• Create monthly tasting menu
• Maintain & organize stock of more than 130 wines
• Ordering of cheese & charcuterie, snack items, branded merchandise, and other supplies
• Timely respond to all email inquiries
• Reservations & deposits for Barrel Tastings
• Monthly inventory reconciliation
• Maintain POS system (Clover)
• Ensure sidework is completed, either by manager or other staff
• Oversee garbage handling and recycling
Sell & Manage Large Group Tastings and Private Events
• Create packages and pricing for events
• Schedule staff & order product for group tastings and special events
Tastings and Tours
• Guide customers and industry professionals through wine tastings and barrel tours
• Communicate the purpose and mission of the winery
• Assist with wine sales
• Be fully knowledgeable on the practices of the RHW, the growers, the winemakers and the process
• Update available items for sale on website
• Prepare online direct to consumer shipments (currently NY only)
• Receive wine deliveries and adds to record keeping software
• Contribute to social media (Instagram)