Responsible for overall management and results of the sales team covering assigned markets and distributors. The responsibilities include directing, controlling, managing, developing, motivating, and training their sales team. The role is expected to achieve and surpass distribution and depletion goals and manage within budget targets. The role oversees the development of by market, business plans—which include strategic and annual growth and investment objectives, organized around target consumer initiatives and the total market—and assures their execution. The role reports directly to the TDAS COO, and is recognized for a thorough understanding of all aspects of sales management, long and short range business planning, motivation, and team building. The Director of Sales is expected to understand and embrace the Terlato family philosophy, passion and company culture. Position is based in CA, and will manage a multi-state territory.
Strategic Thinking - Develops, directs, and executes strategies and allocation of resources in an effort to grow market share and profitability against assigned commitments.
• Responsible for recommending the long and short range plans to senior management and for allocating discretionary marketing and promotional resources across local markets.
• Demonstrate ability to be nimble and quick to adjust targets, plans, budgets, etc amongst the team to deliver the overall targets
• Monitors sales reporting process, analyzes data, budgets, and forecasts, ensuring timely and accurate information is available for key executive decision-making.
• Demonstrates the skills necessary to make short, mid, and long term decisions and set strategies.
Leadership – Leads, manages, and motivates their sales team.
• Coaches, leads, and trains sales team in overall planning and execution processes. Takes responsibility for implementing training of all sales functions for new hires and ongoing needs.
• Directs, motivates, and develops skill sets and capabilities of their respective team. This includes developing the RM’s abilities to do the same for their direct reports, as applicable.
• Ability to attain results through others
• Ability to solve problems and issues in an appropriate and beneficial manner
• Is part of the TDAS Leadership Team.
Business Acumen - Demonstrates good business sense in running the business.
• Ability to best utilize resources at disposal to attain targets.
• Ability to conduct ROI on spends and programs. To analyze the results and make recommendations to start, stop, or continue with plans and programs.
• Maximize resources for results, and makes recommendations that are sound.
• Sets and analyzes pricing in markets based on current business trends focused on maximizing cases and profits, and is consistent with the priorities of TDAS.
• Appropriately manages within all budgets, while attaining targets, including but not limited to T&E, allowances, samples, incentives, and local marketing budgets.
• Understands the competitive market, and how to best compete with the TDAS portfolio.
Distributor Management – ultimately responsible for managing results through and with distributor network
• Demonstrates the ability to manage competitive distributor and retail programming.
• Has the ability to motivate the distributors to attain goals.
• Understands key priorities for each distributor, and how to utilize the TDAS portfolio in aligning with those priorities.
• Set up, track, monitor, and adapt programs within the distributor, such as depletions, distribution, display, merchandising, and features.
• Ability to analyze and evaluate distributor performance and prioritization and take actions accordingly.
• Monitors inventory of TDAS Brands to ensure sufficient inventory levels required to support planned sales activity.
Communicating – Excellent communication abilities, both oral and written
• Communicates effectively, timely, consistently, and concisely to all stakeholders.
• Reports, tracking, and monitoring are communicated on time.
• Ability to persuade and influence
• Execution and Results: Ability to establish priorities and meet or exceed sales goals.
• Judgment: Makes sound business decisions, in a timely, quality manner.
• Budget Management and Resource Utilization: Conscientious and efficient budget management. Maximizes company profitability and resources in the most effective manner.
• Leadership: Effectiveness in inspiring TDAS to perform at maximum capability.
• Teamwork: Ability to work and communicate productively with colleagues and Sales Management.
• Fiscally Responsible: Manages personal and team budgets appropriately within parameters
• Effective in managing people and talent development
• Passion for Work and TDAS.
• Outstanding knowledge in high-quality specialty spirits and wine.
• Ability to identify and communicate relevant and compelling brand benefits and traits
• Intricate knowledge of the assigned region distributor network and key accounts.
• 10+ years of experience in the wine/spirits industry
• Prior supervisory experience preferred
• Bachelor’s Degree Preferred
• Valid driver’s license
Personal Skills and Qualities
• Strong business acumen and sales analysis
• Results oriented
• Commitment to customers and suppliers
• Pursuit of excellence
• Competitive urgency
• In control of the facts of one’s business
• Accountability and trust
• Excellent oral and written communication and persuasion skills
• Effective in managing people and talent development
• Concise, articulate and productive communication style
• Self-motivation with the ability to manage competing priorities
• Passion for Work and Terlato Wines International/TDAS