Works under minimal supervision to process and analyze wine, juice and vineyard samples from vine to bottle. This position is an integral part of the winemaking process, involved in all winemaking meetings and tastings.
Job Duties and Responsibilities Include, but not Limited to:
• Prepare chemical solutions used in laboratory tests.
• Support all phases of lab record keeping.
• Train and supervise laboratory technicians, both full-time and seasonal, to ensure compliance with laboratory procedures.
• Perform instrument calibration and analysis, sterile microbial sampling, plating, isolation and propagation, and solution and reagent preparation
in order to achieve optimal analytical quality.
• Responsible for understanding and adhering to the hazardous materials safety procedures.
• Responsible for competitive and comparative tasting preparation.
• Responsible for maintaining bottling quality control by performing standard checks and analysis and maintaining required records.
• Compile technical label information.
• Other duties, as required.
• BS or BA degree in chemistry, biochemistry, biology, or enology is required.
• Actual chemistry experience is preferred and previous winery experience is a plus. Must be energetic and have excellent organizational skills with an attention to detail. Must be computer literate (Word and Excel) with excellent reasoning abilities and outstanding verbal communication skills. AMS software experience a plus.
• Requires work schedule flexibility during harvest (typically August through November). Must be capable of lifting up to 35 pounds and able to stand and sit for long periods of time.