Artus Bottling Ltd., a leading and expanding contract packager and mobile wine industry service provider, is seeking an experienced Winemaker for its Penticton, British Columbia contract packaging facility. The facility focuses on the packaging of our clients’ cider, still and sparkling wines. Artus also produces, under contract, Charmat Method and Method Traditional sparkling wine.
With the different and dynamic requirements of our clients, this position offers unique and varied work situations. It offers fresh challenges which keep the position from becoming mundane.
Accountable to: Operations Manager
The Winemaker will oversee the day to day operations of the organization’s contract packaging and production. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, conducting still, cider and sparkling wine production involving finishing, adjustment and bottling of cider and still wine; Charmat production finishing, adjustment and bottling, as well as all aspects of Method Traditional sparkling wine production. Monitoring employees and organizing schedules, workflows ensuring that production processes result in services performed to maximum efficiency and quality. He/she will also be expected to conduct cellar activities if necessary, if short staffed, or if the production schedule is at risk.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Responsible for the day to day cider/winemaking operations of the co-packaging production cellar.
• Oversee still wine finishing, adjustments and bottling.
• Oversee cider finishing, carbonation and bottling.
• Oversee Charmat production, finishing and bottling.
• Oversee Method Traditional bottling, aging, riddling, disgorging.
• Implement and monitor the running of a Quality Assurance program.
• Supervise the production staff, helping with determining priorities for daily and weekly work. Plan staffing need, including casual labour.
• Ensure that cellar operations meet the organization’s sanitation standard and equipment is fully functional.
• Work with the Operations Manager to ensure safety programs are up to date and ongoing.
• Assist in training and developing production staff in production operations.
• Actively participate in the safety program.
• Demonstrate leadership and professionalism with clients and personnel and serves as a role model.
• Write work orders; Provide instructions and assistance to the production staff; Prepare reports as required.
• Coordinate and schedule wine receiving / shipments of bulk and finished product.
• Train, supervise, motivate and develop production crew members.
• Manage the production team’s performance on an on-going basis, providing feedback, coaching and discipline in a timely manner. Serve as a resource and mentor to production staff in leadership and management. Promote teamwork among the staff and production employees.
• Demonstrate leadership through sound decisions, high ethical standards, values and behavior
• Ensure smooth daily operations of production area including planning activities to meet schedules and deadlines including operating forklifts and production equipment.
• Order and keep a full inventory of production supplies and ingredients and packaging materials.
• Be able to perform lab tests.
• Special projects and other responsibilities as assigned.
• 5+ years of winemaking experience with practice in both still and sparkling wine production.
• Experience with emphasis on cellar operations with well-rounded knowledge of personnel supervision, scheduling, equipment and facility maintenance
• 5+ years of demonstrated leadership experience
• Excellent English verbal and written communication skills required
• Demonstrated ability to coordinate and document workflow
• Knowledge of safety regulations, HACCP
• Excellent supervisory, teamwork and organizational skills required
• Post-secondary education in microbiology or chemistry