The Director of Finance Operations will be responsible for the finance, accounting and human resource functions for a well established family owned Napa Valley winery that is highly focused on the quality of its wine production. Primary responsibilities include the hands-on management of cashflow, financial statement reporting and product inventory; management of the company’s business systems; administrative oversight of AR, AP and Payroll; monthly reporting to business principals and quarterly/annual costing and tax compliance with the company’s CPA partner.
The Director of Finance Operations will be hands on, proactive and forward looking—creating and implementing policies and procedures to identify, document and improve accounting/operations processes in order to make the department more efficient. Work closely with Management in the development and implementation of all short and long-term initiatives.
• Preparation of monthly financial statements, including P&L, cash flow and balance sheet which are in compliance with generally accepted accounting principles
• Perform an analytical review of monthly operating results to ensure accurate accounting records and to identify trends and/or operating issues; Communicate results to the management team
• Preparation of work papers supporting the annual costing and tax return with outside CPA firm
• Lead the preparation of the annual budget and utilize the budget to measure against actual results during the year.
Human Resource Functions:
• Have departmental oversight of the HR processes with hiring and separations, and payroll/compliance in ADP.
• Be a catalyst for developing and reporting key metrics for the company
• Oversee the annual review process with Management and their respective teams
• On monthly basis, perform book to physical inventory reconciliations
• Supervise the process of accounts payable, including allocations of costs between the various departments
• Supervise the proactive management of invoicing and accounts receivable to ensure timely cash management
• Supervise the semi-monthly payroll and the maintenance of payroll records (401K plans, health savings accounts, employee files)
• Prepare and record journal entries required to reflect monthly activity
• Complete the monthly accounting close process including the reconciliation of general ledger accounts
• Implement, document and maintain effective internal controls to mitigate risk through separation of duties
• Identify and make recommendations to management with regard to improvements in operations which would increase efficiency or reduce costs
• Conduct annual vendor reviews to ensure all service and product providers offer the optimum price to value
• Bachelor's degree in accounting or business administration
• 5+ years of experience in accounting
• Strong proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook;
• Prior experience with a mid-range ERP system
Additional Experience in the Following Areas Highly Preferred:
• Accounting and/or operational experience in the wine industry
• Experience with retail POS systems and website operations
• Experience with the following software systems: Navision, VinSuite and RMS, ShipCompliant
• Highly accurate, organized, and detail oriented, with strong multi-tasking and time management skills
• Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills, including ability to articulate
recommendations in a concise and timely manner to internal team and external partners
• Ability to work in a team environment and perform duties and responsibilities in a manner
consistent with the company’s policies
• Must be able to regularly lift and carry up to 50lbs