Sequoia Grove Winery is seeking a Winery Chef responsible for the creation of an
exceptional culinary program that showcases our outstanding wines while providing
memorable wine country experiences for our guests.
• Manages all Wine and Food Event operations, ensuring the highest professional
food quality and sanitation standards are maintained.
• Plans and develops menus and recipes for all food service, including trade and
VIP menus, considering wine appropriateness, seasonality, holidays, costs, and
all other relevant factors.
• Effectively manages staff to improve morale, reduce turnover, increase
productivity, and improve quality. Provides supervision, training, and
education to all Wine & Food Pairing Hosts, support and kitchen staff as needed.
• In coordination with Winemaking Team, analyzes and provides analysis of optimal
food pairings for specific varietals/vintages on a pre-wine release basis.
Shares the Winery’s point of view on how food preparation can by adjusted to
maintain or elevate the essence of the wine – especially Cabernet Sauvignon.
• Provides support in developing and/or implementing culinary descriptions to be
used for advertising campaigns, printed materials, and other Marketing and Sales
efforts. Writes recipes for publication for site events, newsletters, website,
recipe cards, etc.
• Consults and coordinates with Winery Managers about food preparation and other
aspects of planned special events.
• Manages and controls necessary budgets for all areas of responsibility;
provides detailed, itemized cost analysis to Finance, projects annual food and
labor costs, and monitors budget vs actual financial results; takes corrective
action where necessary to help ensure that financial goals are met.
• Manages and maintains physical inventories of food supplies, linens, etc.,
purchasing food and supplies for all events and other related activities.
• Researches, recommends, and orders necessary equipment and supplies to maintain
high level of quality and services.
• Represents the winery at Wine & Food Pairings and other on-site and off-site
events, cooking demonstrations, media events and interviews, and other
promotional opportunities in support of the winery and brand.
• In conjunction with the management team, participates in establishing and
supporting Winery policies and procedures.
• Special projects and other responsibilities as required.
• Ensures, by performance and example, that the Sequoia Grove Winery culture is
consistently supported in all business and employee interactions, which
includes both ethical and legal aspects, complying with federal and state laws,
and company policies and procedures.
• Hires, leads, develops, and trains the Wine & Food Event team to provide
exceptional customer service to all guests, achieve sales and budgeted goals,
and build increased customer loyalty. Trains and develops staff so they
represent the highest level of expertise available in the wine industry, with an
emphasis on sales effectiveness, customer service.
• Nurtures an atmosphere of teamwork and enthusiastic employee relations among
Visitor Center staff.
• Demonstrates a high level of professionalism, the ability to appropriately handle
sensitive and confidential information, and/or situations and the ability to
maintain discretion and confidentiality.
• Appraises performance; rewarding and taking disciplinary action when appropriate;
and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
• Keeps SOPs up to date, assuring that all standards of professionalism and
customer service are upheld by all staff members.
• Bachelor’s degree in related area, specialized and/or technical training
such as a Certificate of Completion from a culinary institute, a minimum of 7
years of directly related experience or equivalent combination of education and
• Exceptional culinary skills with the ability to develop and test recipes
and/or techniques for food preparation/presentation.
• General wine industry knowledge with a discerning palate for tasting and evaluating
wine and food.
• Previous management and/or supervisory experience in the wine and/or food industry.
• Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills. Able to
make presentations to groups and communicate and connect with guests as needed to
elevate the Wine and Food Program experiences.
• Excellent organizational, planning, and scheduling skills; highly accurate,
organized, and detail oriented, with strong multi-tasking and time management skills.
• Highly imaginative with the ability to visualize and create exciting and innovative
wine and food programs and experiences, which include a variety of menus and options.
• Able to provide support in developing promotional materials.
• Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services and inventory control.
• Ability to work weekends and holidays as well as flexibility in scheduling to ensure
business-staffing needs are met and to work at and/or attend on and off-site weekend
and after hour’s events and functions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties
of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, climb stairs,
talk, hear, taste, and smell. Must possess vision, hearing, and sufficient digital
manipulation skills to utilize a computer keyboard, telephone, and other office
equipment. The employee is occasionally required to climb, balance, and bend. The
employee must be able to frequently lift and carry up to 50 lbs.