Sterling Vineyards was founded in 1964, and quickly became a top Napa Valley wine producer. Modeled after a Greek monastery, Sterling Vineyards was built with the visitor in mind and is the only winery in the world with an aerial tram. Today, Sterling is one of the most visited wineries in Napa Valley and, under Treasury Wine Estates, part of the one of the world’s most exciting wine companies. This provides immense opportunity for working with top-quality grapes and crafting world-class wines. 2017 was quite an exciting year for Sterling, as the official wine of the Emmy Awards and receiving some excellent scores, and we cannot wait to see what 2018 will bring!
Sterling Vineyards seeks enthusiastic Harvest Laboratory Interns for the 2018 Harvest. A seasonal hourly opening, the position extends from late July through December 2018.
Join us at Sterling in our new, state of the art, Reserve Winery. As a Harvest Lab Intern, you will work directly with the Winemaking Team to perform and analyze all harvest chemistry on grapes and wine, and work with over 12 different varietals. Come join our energetic and passionate team for Harvest 2018!
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Harvest Interns will work in a fast paced environment, including the following responsibilities:
• Run daily brix and temperature monitoring on fermenting tanks and barrels.
• Perform routine harvest juice and wine analysis by hand or using automated equipment, including pH, TA, brix, alcohol, ammonia, free and total sulfur, VA, residual sugars, and various other analyses.
• Learn to read and interpret analytical results accurately and efficiently to maintain fermentation quality
• Manage malolactic bacteria inoculation and track malolactic fermentation, data submissions, data entry.
• Communicate results with winemaking and cellar teams, and manage harvest dry goods inventory
• Understand and abide by safety guidelines and laboratory procedures
• Assist with cellar activities and participate in daily winemaker tastings when time allows
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
• Valid California Driver's License and clean DMV record required
• Degree in or currently enrolled in Enology, Viticulture, Microbiology, Chemistry, or related scientific field.
• Previous winery experience is desired, but not required.
• Ability to work both independently and as a dynamic, contributing team member in a fast-paced environment
• Positive attitude, eagerness to learn, and willingness to work long hours inside or outside
• Ability to perform physical labor if necessary, and to lift 50lbs.
• Strong organizational and problem-solving skills; ability to manage priorities and workflow.
• Excellent communication skills; can communicate effectively in English.
• Experience in Microsoft Excel and Word required, strong data management skills preferred
• Must be 21 years of age
Wage information: Hourly including overtime, rate DOE
Please apply with resume and cover letter to: email@example.com