Sterling Vineyards was founded in 1964, and quickly became a top Napa Valley wine producer. Modeled after a Greek monastery, Sterling Vineyards was built with the visitor in mind and is the only winery in the world with an aerial tram. Today, Sterling is one of the most visited wineries in Napa Valley and, under Treasury Wine Estates, part of the one of the world’s most exciting wine companies. This provides immense opportunity for working with top-quality grapes and crafting world-class wines. 2017 was quite an exciting year for Sterling, as the official wine of the Emmy Awards and receiving some excellent scores, and we cannot wait to see what 2018 will bring!
Sterling Vineyards seeks enthusiastic Harvest Enologists for the 2018 Harvest. A seasonal hourly opening, the position extends from late July through December 2018.
Join us at Sterling in our new, state of the art, Reserve Winery! As a Harvest Enologist, you will partake in tastings and discussions. Working directly with the Cellar Supervisor and Winemaking team to manage incoming fermentations, you will master grape receiving, work order writing, fermentation management, draining and pressing, and barrel down processes. Come join our energetic and passionate team for Harvest 2018!
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Monitoring and managing fermentations, including daily tastings and generation of daily pump-over schedule
• Managing inoculations and additions for small and medium tonnage reserve winery lots, writing work orders
• Making press-cuts and other winemaking decisions by taste with winemaker guidance
• Sample-pulling, preparing and tasting benchtop trials, and managing dry goods inventory
• Participation in: several vineyard tours and berry sensory analysis training, occasional non-harvest winemaking tastings, daily winemaking / scheduling meeting
• Assisting with operation of winery equipment, barrel work, sanitation, and other cellar work if time allows
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
• Valid California Driver's License and clean DMV record required
• Advanced coursework in Viticulture and Enology required, B.S. or M.S. in V&E preferred
• Ability to work both independently and as a dynamic, contributing team member in a fast-paced environment
• Previous cellar and laboratory experience preferred but not required
• Ability to understand and comply with any and all safety requirements
• Experience in Microsoft Excel and Word required, strong data management skills preferred
• Ability to speak Spanish is helpful but not required
• Positive attitude, eagerness to learn, and willingness to work long hours inside or outside
• Ability to perform physical labor if necessary, and to lift 50lbs.
• Must be 21 years of age
Wage information: Hourly including overtime, rate DOE
Please apply with resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org