Wente Vineyards is seeking a Viticulture Intern to join the Viticulture team for the 2018 harvest. This is a full time, seasonal, hourly position, starting in summer and lasting through harvest (typically early November). This dynamic position will provide valuable experience in vineyard. The ideal candidate will have an up-for-anything attitude and take pride in their work, no matter how small the task. S/he will have an interest in agriculture and Vineyard Management, respect for and sense of comradery with members of the team, a good work ethic and desire to be a part of the harvest family. It’s expected that the Harvest Intern will have a flexible schedule during the employment period, be eager and willing to work early mornings and possibly long extended hours, be physically fit enough to lift/move awkward objects or smart enough to ask for help when they can’t, and can be on their feet for most of the day. You will be working in the Livermore Valley on 2,000+ acres of vineyard, with possibility of visiting Wente Vineyards Arroyo Seco property in Monterey County as needed. We strive to grow world-class grapes at Wente and desire to work with others who share the same vision.
The Viticulture Intern will gain experience in many facets of the operation, but will mainly be responsible for the following:
• Phenology tracking
• Monitor vineyards for pests, diseases, nutritional disorders and vine health
• Assist in annual crop estimates across all vineyards; cluster counts and weights
• Assist in identifying and marking sampling areas for each vineyard block
• Conduct daily berry and cluster sampling of vineyard blocks
• Process grape samples and basic chemistry analysis
• Accurate record keeping
• Check on individual vineyard grape harvesting as needed for quality control
• Follow safe operating procedures
• Special projects and responsibilities as assigned
• Assisting the cellar crew if needed
• Agricultural experience or Viticulture/horticulture education
• Previous winery or harvest experience is beneficial
• Good understanding of fundamentals of viticulture: physiology of vine, nutrients, pest and diseases is preferred
• A strong attention to detail, positive attitude, excellent communication skills, willingness to work hard and get dirty, and the ability to work well with others is essential
• Ability to perform the physical demands of vineyard work and lift and carry 50 pounds.
• Ability to work long hours/weekends and in various conditions/terrains/climates.
• Valid CA Driver’s License required with a safe driving record
• Preferably over the age of 21
• Spanish speaking is a plus