Wente Vineyards is seeking a Harvest Sampler to join the Viticulture team for the 2018 harvest. This position will begin in late summer 2018 and last through harvest (typically early November). The ideal candidate will have an up-for-anything attitude and take pride in their work, no matter how small the task. S/he will have an interest in agriculture and Vineyard Management, respect for and sense of comradery with members of the team, a good work ethic and desire to be a part of the harvest family. It’s expected that the Harvest Intern will have a flexible schedule during the employment period, be eager and willing to work early mornings, be physically fit enough to lift/move awkward objects or smart enough to ask for help when they can’t, and can be on their feet for most of the day. We strive to grow world-class grapes at Wente Vineyards and desire to work with others who share the same vision.
This position will be based in Arroyo Seco, Monterey county on 1,000+ acres of vineyard, with possibility of visiting The Wente Vineyards Estate Winery in Livermore as needed. This is a seasonal position with the option of full time or part time hours. We can offer a flexible schedule depending on the selected candidate’s schedule and preferences.
The Harvest Sampler will mainly be responsible for the following:
• Monitor vineyards for pests, diseases, nutritional disorders and vine health
• Assist in identifying and marking sampling areas for each vineyard block
• Conduct daily berry and cluster sampling of vineyard blocks
• Process grape samples and basic chemistry analysis
• Accurate record keeping
• Check on individual vineyard grape harvesting as needed for quality control
• Follow safe operating procedures
• Special projects and responsibilities as assigned
• A strong attention to detail, excellent communication skills, willingness to work hard and get dirty, and the ability to work well with others is essential
• Ability to perform the physical demands of vineyard work and lift and carry 40 pounds.
• Ability to work long hours/weekends and in various conditions/terrains/climates.
• Valid CA Driver’s License required with a safe driving record
• Timely and correct administration of paperwork and maintaining logs
• Self-motivated with a positive and professional work ethic
• Agricultural experience or Viticulture/horticulture education is beneficial
• Spanish speaking is a plus