Christie’s, the world’s largest Art Business, is an incredibly exciting & enriching place to start or continue your career. Whether you work within one of our Specialist Art Departments or in our more Operational focused teams we are all working together with one common goal in mind: to continue the success of this 250 year old company, steeped in history, bringing constant innovation whilst not forgetting our age old values; Passionate Expertise, Exceptional Client Service, Teamwork, Integrity, Business Judgement & Innovation. . Colleagues across all departments are truly passionate about what they do and it is constantly inspiring to work with industry leaders across all segments of the business.
The Specialist is primarily responsible for cataloguing and preparing consigned property for sale. In addition, this position works closely under the supervision of senior specialist colleagues to develop increased responsibility in the production of appraisals and proposals, increased knowledge of domestic client relationship management, and relevant wine markets, and increase negotiating and selling skills.
Specific duties & responsibilities will include but are not limited to
• Actively develop business contacts and strategic opportunities
• Identify and maintain relationships with clients, dealers and collectors
• Maximize profitability and prominence of new York wine sales and be aware of departmental performance against budget
• Research property for cataloguing using on-line databases, intranet and internet resources, departmental library resources (past auction/dealer catalogues) and outside experts (such as dealers, publisher, etc.)
• Catalogue property for public and private sales
• Prepare property for hilling sessions (meetings to determine value, condition and marketability of property) and amend catalogue sheets after hilling sessions
• Review incoming photo inquiries with senior specialist or department head to determine sale potential.
• Work with all client categories (collectors, dealers, corporations, institutions) in the areas of business-getting and selling, under the supervision of more senior specialist or department head.
• Prepare condition reports of consigned property prior to the auction.
• Assist clients in the galleries during sale week.
• Work with clients to obtain tasting wines from their consignments and organize pre-sale tastings and events.
• Participate in Telephone Bidding with clients during the auction.
• View and visit competitors’ auctions and track overall results.
• Liaise with outside experts.
• Actively participate and lead the organizing of events and other functions to represent Christie’s.
• Other duties as assigned by Manager.
• Support colleagues when necessary by greeting or visiting clients on-site to support appraisal, consignment and sale efforts.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in the wine industry
• Minimum of 4 years paid work experience in related field; or 2 years as a Junior Specialist.
• Knowledge of the auction business.
• Demonstrated ability in appraising property and business-getting.
• Knowledge of E-mail, Spreadsheet, Word Processing and Presentation software (Microsoft Office preferred.)
• Ability to learn Christie’s systems including Siebel, Property System, intranet and website.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including superior written and spoken communication.
• Superior client service skills.
• Demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize.
• Strong follow-up skills with rigorous attention to detail.
• Ability to work within a team environment
• Must be able to do cellar packs in packs, inspect inventory in the warehouse and lift cases
• Required to meet with clients on-site and off-site
• Required to travel as necessary
• Comprehensive Medical, Dental and Vision care plans for employees and dependents (Generally Christie’s pays 80% of total premiums)
• 401k Savings Plan - Christie’s matches dollar for dollar on the first 5% an employee elects to contribute
• Life Insurance - 3x base salary up to $400k (100% paid by Christie’s)
• Disability Insurance (100% paid by Christie’s)
• Generous time-off and leave policies; including 6 weeks paid Parental/Child Bonding Leave
• Robust Wellness Program
- Onsite weekly yoga class
- Discounted or subsidized Gym Memberships to Equinox, NYSC & NYHRC
• Annual Performance Bonus plan
• Commuter Benefits - Pre-tax money towards your daily commute with a Christie’s contribution of $21 per month
• Back Up Child & Elder Care - Each employee receives up to 10 days of back-up Child or Elder Care through Bright Horizons
• ‘Art & Soul’ – Each employee receives one paid day per year to dedicate their time to a charity of their choice
For further details on Christie’s generous benefits offerings, please visit www.christiesbenefits.com (ID:Christies, Password, Wellness)
*Christie’s reserves the right to change company benefits at any time
Please apply via our Christie's Job Opportunities page: https://christies.csod.com/ats/careersite/jobdetails.aspx?site=1&c=christies&id=1778