Bodegas Valdemar is a 5th generation family owned winery in Rioja (Spain). We own more than 700 acres in the most premium sites of Rioja. We produce around 1,8 million bottles and we export more than 70% of our sales, being the US one of the leading markets. https://www.valdemar.es/en
Our new project takes us to Walla Walla (WA) where we are building a boutique state of the art winery. We aim to stablish our brand in the “luxury” and “super luxury” price segments and for that purpose we are seeking to source grapes or stablish our own vineyards in the most premium and unique sites of Washington State.
HEAD WINEMAKER PROFILE
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Learn and implement winemaking direction and goals set by the family and group management
- Strategize, direct, and ensure documentation of all winery operations throughout the year
- Support the cellar team in the full range of hands on cellar activities, while reinforcing a cohesive and positive work environment
- Taste and evaluate wines and blends as needed throughout the year
- Organize and lead technical tastings and blending sessions
- Generate reports and ensure maintenance of wine inventory and winery compliance records
- Work with facilities manager and cellar master to ensure winery is up to date and compliant in all safety requirements and standards
- Assist in developing annual and long-term winery budget and work to keep winery operations within budget
- Continually evaluate winery operations and equipment looking for opportunity for improvement in flow and/or quality
- Research and order new equipment or implement other improvements as needed
- Prevent and resolve technical issues.
- Assist in the groundwork of short and long-term production plans, and other company wide goals
- Contribute creativity and innovation and oversee all R&D, while assuring quality and improved processes
Cellar team including Cellar Master.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in enology or related field.
• At least 5 years winemaking experience as winemaker or assistant winemaker at high end winery.
• Language knowledge other than English will be valued, specially Spanish.
• Strong technical winemaking knowledge and skills
• Basic Lab, PH, SO2, TA, Spec
• Commitment to high standards with an acute attention to detail
• Willingness and ability to take a hands on approach and contribute in all cellar operations as needed
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Strong management skills
• Proficient computer skills
• Experience working cohesively as part of a team and as part of a family operation
• Able to deal with a diversity of individuals at all levels
• Forklift experience
• Self-starter with ability to meet goals, make decisions and take action when needed, while keeping open communication
Physical: Lift and carry up to 60 pounds; work on and around ladders, catwalks, uneven flooring, in hot, cold and wet environments; with typical winery chemical exposure and conditions
• Must have a valid unrestricted driver’s license.
• Flexibility to work additional long hours as needed throughout the year and during harvest and bottling.
• US citizienship, Greencard or valid work visa.
The above information is representative of the work performed in this position, however it is not all-inclusive. The omission of a specific duty or responsibility does not exclude it from the position if the work is similar or related to the essential duties and responsibilities.