This position reports to the Director of Group Winemaking and will support Constellation Brands Inc. (CBI) winemaking and research and development (R&D) departments by providing robust, actionable and reliable winemaking and (R&D) support to the business. The position requires expertise with winemaking and research to guide product development, quality and process optimization. The position also requires an understanding of the entire winemaking process across multiple winery sizes and quality tiers and a high level of creativity, problem solving, project management and entrepreneurship.
• Collaborate with Winemaking, R&D, Applied Technology and Operations to develop and execute research designed projects to test ingredients, equipment and new winemaking processes to improve the quality (potentially tier-up) and cost of products and improve efficiency in the winemaking process.
• Assist with inhouse/proprietary ingredient testing by working with R&D and winemakers at various winery sites to compare the efficacy of each ingredient and to make recommendations for cost savings, improved quality upgrades and find where new ingredients can play a role in the portfolio diversification.
• Work cross functionally with the technical community, operations and winemaking at various winery sites to design and execute research strategies to evaluate winemaking process optimizations.
• Liaise with outside vendors and work cross functionally throughout the winery operations to design and execute research strategies to evaluate breakthrough technology.
• Apply project management skills to cross-functionally evaluate, communicate and effectively and efficiently execute projects.
• Collaborate with cross functional teams to align on key success criteria, designing experiments to address specific objectives, develop questionnaires and deliver findings and recommendations to internal customers.
• Continually research and develop external contacts to maintain awareness of developments in the industry and facilitate the application of relevant processes to CBI.
• Responsible for understanding and complying with applicable legal, quality, environmental and safety regulatory considerations.
• Must maintain satisfactory attendance, to include timeliness.
• This job description reflects management's assessment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
• Excellent communication
• Building productive relationships & teamwork
• Customer/ consumer focus
• Initiative and results orientation
• Planning and organizing
• Role expertise
Leadership & Functional:
• Thought leader and self-starter
• Analytical/ Decision Making
• Effective Execution
• Self-Awareness / Personal Impact
• Degree in Enology, (micro)Biology, Chemistry, Process Engineering or related field
• Excellent organizer and planner
• Excellent communication skills - articulate and technical in writing and speech
• Skilled in the use of MS Excel, MS Word and MS PowerPoint at an intermediate level.
• Interpretation of data - ability to deliver reports against defined decision criteria based on appropriate analysis of data
• Time Management - manage timelines and project milestones with customers.
• Winemaker with 5+ years of industry experience.
• Production experience in multi-tier winery operations
• Excellent teamwork skills with an easy inclusive communication style
• Minimum supervision and strong planning and organizational skills.
• Can taste alcoholic beverages and have good sensory acuity.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
- Works outdoors/indoors
- Works in warm/cold climates
- Works in high places
- Works on wet surfaces
- Is exposed to loud noise, fumes and/or toxic chemicals
- Works near moving, mechanical parts and lift truck traffic
- Must be able to move up to 55 lbs
Constellation Brands is committed to a continuing program of equal employment opportunity. All persons have equal employment opportunities with Constellation Brands, regardless of their sex, race, color, age, religion, creed, sexual orientation, national origin or citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition (cancer or genetic characteristics), marital status, gender (including gender identity or gender expression), familial status, military or veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions (or any other group or category within the framework of the applicable discrimination laws and regulations).