Experienced Winemaker: (US citizen, resident or work permit only)
Job Description: We are a premier DTC 20,000 case operation in the Southern California , Temecula Wine Country, farming 200 acres and 16 French and Italian varieties. For more information visit pontewinery.com We are looking for a highly experienced, passionate leader to make a wide variety of high quality wines from estate grown grapes for Ponte Winery and our newest Winery, Bottaia, which is slated for opening this summer.
The position reports to: Managing Partner and Wine Production Manager. Works closely with: Vineyard Management Team, Tasting Room Manager and Wine Club Manager. Summary: Responsible for the production, overall quality and style of all Bottaia wines. Essential Duties and Responsibilities: • Directs operations in the cellar from harvest to bottle to produce very high quality wine that exceeds the guests’ expectations. • Works with Consulting Winemaker, visiting Winemaker and Consulting Viticulturist. • Works with Wine Production manager, Wine Club and Tasting room Manager to help manage a 3-year production and elevage program to meet guest demand, quality and sales goals. • Develops and adheres to standard winemaking operating procedures for quality, safety, cleanliness and production within the cellar.
• Works with Cellarmaster, and during harvest season a lab intern, and a crew of 2-3 cellar workers • Completes transfer in bond paperwork ensuring accurate accounting on bonded storage and transfers to aid in TTB filings.
• Maintains meticulous records of all winemaking activities and protocols using Vintrace program. • Assists marketing department with wine packaging development. • Evaluates and purchases bulk wine for production and blending needs. • Orders, keeps inventory, and tracks usage of all supplies, chemicals, and equipment in winery • Oversees the upkeep and maintenance of winery equipment and schedules appropriate service when needed
• Assists marketing department with wine packaging development. • Assists Tasting Room with tasting descriptors and answers questions about winemaking and viticulture. • Conducts occasional tours of facility and educates winery guests about winemaking and viticulture, and obtains feedback about quality perceptions and flavor profiles. • With vineyard management team, evaluates vineyard protocols regarding water application, pest management, chemical analysis and maturity status. • Helps Vineyard team determine yield and grape quality in vineyard and evaluates winery production needs for each varieties, following existing production program. • Assists corporate and vineyard production team to manage contracts for buying and selling grapes. • Responsible for implementing any processes that have a direct effect to wine quality as coordinated with Managing Partner. • Understands and adheres to environmental standards set by the winery. • Understands, enforces and teaches winemaking standard operating procedures to winemaking staff.
• Ensures the safety of guests and associates by maintaining a clean, safe and secure cellar that ensures compliance with OSHA and CAL OSHA regulations. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: • 10-year minimum experience as a Winemaker and at least 3 years of Assistant Winemaker or Cellarmaster experience in a major winemaking area making high end wines from multiple varieties.
• Proven leadership and management skills leading small dynamic winemaking teams. • Strong lab skills with solid understanding of polyphenolic chemistry. • Enology degree from Fresno State, Cal Poly SLO or UC Davis or equivalent international institution • Mastery of Vintrace, Winemaker Database or equivalent software
• Strong understanding of crush pad equipment, filtration, refrigeration and other winemaking equipment. • Proven organizational skills are an absolute requirement of the position. • Experience with Mediterranean varieties a plus • Basic Spanish a plus
Strong consistent references required.
Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Must have U.S. Residency or Visa
Very Competitive Salary. Please share salary expecations.
Six figure salary available based on qualifications
Eligible for year-end discretionary bonuses based on department achievements such as improving wine quality, cost control, safety record and interaction with other departments. • Eligible for paid time off including vacation and sick days per associate employment handbook. • Eligible to participate in the 401(k) plan with company match in accordance with the plan. • Eligible for medical insurance for associate as defined in associate employment handbook.