Job Description: We are a premier DTC 20,000 case operation in the Temecula Wine Country, farming 200 acres and 16 French and Italian varieties. For more information visit pontewinery.com We are looking for a highly experienced, passionate leader to make a wide variety of high quality wines from estate grown grapes for our newest Winery, Bottaia, which is slated for a 2018 opening.
The position reports to: Managing Partner and Wine Production Manager. Works closely with: Vineyard Management Team, Tasting Room Manager and Wine Club Manager. Summary: Responsible for the production, overall quality and style of all Bottaia wines. Essential Duties and Responsibilities: • Directs operations in the cellar from harvest to bottle to produce very high quality wine that exceeds the guests’ expectations. • Works with Consulting Winemaker, visiting Winemaker and Consulting Viticulturist. • Works with Wine Production manager, Wine Club and Tasting room Manager to help manage a 3-year production and elevage program to meet guest demand, quality and sales goals. • Develops and adheres to standard winemaking operating procedures for quality, safety, cleanliness and production within the cellar.
• Works with Cellarmaster, and during harvest season a lab intern, and a crew of 2-3 cellar workers • Completes transfer in bond paperwork ensuring accurate accounting on bonded storage and transfers to aid in TTB filings.
• Maintains meticulous records of all winemaking activities and protocols using Vintrace program. • Assists marketing department with wine packaging development. • Evaluates and purchases bulk wine for production and blending needs. • Orders, keeps inventory, and tracks usage of all supplies, chemicals, and equipment in winery • Oversees the upkeep and maintenance of winery equipment and schedules appropriate service when needed
• Assists marketing department with wine packaging development. • Assists Tasting Room with tasting descriptors and answers questions about winemaking and viticulture. • Conducts occasional tours of facility and educates winery guests about winemaking and viticulture, and obtains feedback about quality perceptions and flavor profiles. • With vineyard management team, evaluates vineyard protocols regarding water application, pest management, chemical analysis and maturity status. • Helps Vineyard team determine yield and grape quality in vineyard and evaluates winery production needs for each varieties, following existing production program. • Assists corporate and vineyard production team to manage contracts for buying and selling grapes. • Responsible for implementing any processes that have a direct effect to wine quality as coordinated with Managing Partner. • Understands and adheres to environmental standards set by the winery. • Understands, enforces and teaches winemaking standard operating procedures to winemaking staff.
• Ensures the safety of guests and associates by maintaining a clean, safe and secure cellar that ensures compliance with OSHA and CAL OSHA regulations. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: • 10-year minimum experience as a Winemaker and at least 3 years of Assistant Winemaker or Cellarmaster experience in a major winemaking area making high end wines from multiple varieties.
• Proven leadership and management skills leading small dynamic winemaking teams. • Strong lab skills with solid understanding of polyphenolic chemistry. • Enology degree from Fresno State, Cal Poly SLO or UC Davis or equivalent international institution • Mastery of Vintrace, Winemaker Database or equivalent software
• Strong understanding of crush pad equipment, filtration, refrigeration and other winemaking equipment. • Proven organizational skills are an absolute requirement of the position. • Experience with Mediterranean varieties a plus • Basic Spanish a plus
Strong consistent references required.
Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Competitive Salary and benefits: • Eligible for year-end discretionary bonuses based on department achievements such as improving wine quality, cost control, safety record and interaction with other departments. • Eligible for paid time off including vacation and sick days per associate employment handbook. • Eligible to participate in the 401(k) plan with company match in accordance with the plan. • Eligible for medical insurance for associate as defined in associate employment handbook.