Start-up, financially-backed cidery is looking for a Head Cider Maker to help the company realize its vision of becoming a medium to large cider producer, with an initial production goal of Fall 2018. The Head Cider Maker would work with the CEO/Owner and Partners to develop the signature cider products for the cidery and oversee cider production.
In addition to developing cider products, the Head Cider Maker will have input into the design of the cider production facility, acquisition of equipment and other key business decisions during the initial phases of rollout.
The Head Cider Maker is ultimately responsible for supervising the cider making process from receipt of juice to package. A thorough knowledge of cider/wine making, excellent organization, time management and problem-solving skills are crucial skills required for this position. Hard work, mutual respect, a sense of humor and community are core values required for success.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following.
• Securing quality ingredients for cider making process, including coordination with common ownership orchard
• Supervision of cider making process by scheduling processing, transfers, filtration, testing, and other process steps for each active batch of cider to ensure high-quality standards
• Monitor, collect and report data on all active batches of cider in process, including entry and reporting through a manufacturing management system
• Proficiency in operating and troubleshooting all cider making equipment.
• Ensure all sanitation and safety practices are implemented and followed on the production floor.
• Communicate and collaborate around ongoing cider quality and development.
• Lead development of new cider flavors and styles for brand
• Organization of all production inventory: cider ingredients, batches, cleaning chemicals and equipment, finished product/packaged product
• Manage and adhere to budgets for production inventory
• Lead, manage, and report on primary QA program for cidery
• Supervision of cider making staff with respect to scheduling, training, goal setting and performance reviews.
• Understanding and adherence to all FDA, TTB, OSHA, and NYSLA regulations and guidelines
• Other duties may be assigned.
Previous Experience Required:
• 3-5 years experience in fermentation science, oenology, brewing, or related field
• Thorough understanding of cider/wine making including chemical and microbiological processes
• 3-5 years experience in a manufacturing environment, preferably in a supervisory role.
• Experience supervising staff and scheduling
• Experience working with fermentation equipment and analytical testing equipment
• Understanding of apple trees and/or orchard production
• Punctual, reliable and able to work both independently and within a team.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills; ability to multitask.
• Must be able to adapt to changes in the work environment and manage competing demands.
• An appreciation for the agricultural basis of our product and the nuances it imposes on production throughout the year.
• Standing and/or ability to work on feet up to 10 hours per day
• Able to lift 100+ lbs on regular basis
• Able to climb equipment/ladders on daily basis
• Manufacturing facility (Primary)
• Agricultural setting – farm (Secondary)