This dual-role position supports winemaking operations by performing routine lab analyses on grapes, musts and wines (including management of lab supplies), in addition to performing general cellar work on an as-needed basis.
Job Duties & Requirements:
• ~100% focus during harvest period (September-December)
• Pull samples from trucks, tanks and barrels.
• Prepare reagents and perform daily analytical functions.
• Coordinate daily lab work with winemaker and cellar.
• Enter lab analysis in WMDB.
• Order and organize lab supplies (reagents, glassware, etc.) and maintain a safe environment.
• Troubleshoot, maintain and minor repair of instruments.
• ~50% focus during non-harvest period (January-August)
• Proper set up, use and care of all cellar equipment.
• Sanitation in all areas including facility and equipment, sterilizing casks, tanks and other equipment.
• Transferring, racking, and blending of wine and juice.
• Barrel operations: filling, topping, emptying, washing and gassing.
• Make additions to juice or wine in barrels or tanks.
• Forklift operations with barrels and portable tanks.
• Leading participant in our safety program, follow and observe all safety guidelines for cellar operations.
• Additional duties as assigned.
Essential Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Must be both self-motivated and team oriented, reliable, and posses a positive work ethic.
Education – High School diploma or equivalent required. Degree in Science preferred or equivalent related work experience in similar position.
Prior Experience – Prior experience in production wine lab or quality lab required; cellar experience preferred but not required.
Certifications – none required. Forklift certification preferred.
Physical Requirements – Requires standing for long periods of time, walking and standing on concrete floors. Requires ability to climb stairs, lift, bend, twist and carry samples repetitively. Requires ability to lift and carry up to 45lbs on a frequent basis.
Work Environment – Requires mobility throughout winemaker offices, cellar, barrel rooms and crush pad; must be able to work safely around equipment, electrical outlets and chemicals.
Technical Skills – Strong math skills required. Detail oriented and excellent organizational skills and analytic thinking required.
Must be able to follow directions.
Computer skills – Computer literate including Excel, Internet, Email experience, Word skills a plus. Familiarity with database programs and data entry preferred.
Communication Skills – Ability to communicate complex information effectively to all levels of internal and external contacts. Must be able to communicate effectively with coworkers and supervisors in English. Bilingual English/Spanish a plus.
Attendance/Schedule – This is a 4-day/10-hour per day position. Will require extended shift work during harvest season, approximately 12 weeks per year. Overtime and weekend work required during harvest season.
Email resume. No Phone or Fax.