Consulting winemaker, working primarily out of a custom crush in Healdsburg, specializing in Pinot Noir (and Rose) and barrel-fermented Chardonnay. We have been making wine commercially since 2011, under our own label, with great critical success, and have been acting as a consulting winemaker for several clients since 2015. Due to improved equipment/capacity, at the facility, we now have the opportunity for an additional client focused on building, or refreshing, a top-tier brand. In addition to repeat winery clients, we are proud to produce wines specifically for a perennial Michelin Star, and Wine Spectator Grand Award achieving, restaurant. Facility features a new Carlsen Crush Pad with shaker table, climate controlled barrel room, and multiple 5-ton open top tanks. Smaller lots handled in T-Bins in climate controlled room.
- Fruit sourcing and consulting (Have prime RRV and SC Pinot Noir available for 2017 clients)
- Cooperage sourcing and recommendations
- Farming/viticulture recommendations (consultant farms an Estate property)
- Complete grape to bottle winemaking, with hands-on work in the cellar, and complete notes. Be as involved as you like, or give upfront guidance and hand us the keys, we will deliver.
- Experienced with profiles from delicate Pinots to full-throttle, fruit-forward efforts. Similar spectrum on the Chardonnay side, with barrel ferments being a specialty.
- Clients will be given the opportunity to taste through a portfolio.
- Fee is per ton of fruit, and very competitive. Minimum lot size is 2 tons and minimum total is 10 tons.
- I treat every lot as unique and don’t rely on recipes, every ferment and barrel will be individually, and routinely, monitored with adjustments and decisions made unique to each.
- Preference is to work out of our existing Healdsburg facility, but for a more traditional consulting scope will consider working between Sebastopol and Healdsburg.
- For new brands, we are happy to make introductions to suppliers, and provide general guidance (and have extensive experience doing so).
- Have acted as a lead financial and viticulture adviser on a ~$10mm Sonoma Coast vineyard acquisition process.
Our house wines have achieved more than 15 90+ scores, since 2013, equally distributed between Wine Spectator, Wine Advocate and Wine Enthusiast. We have never produced a single vineyard wine scoring under 90pts. Client’s scores, or other information, are held in strictest confidence.
Style is minimal intervention, which is allowed by the excruciating attention to detail (and far more frequent hands-on attention than you will find elsewhere), and state of the art technology. Let’s talk about your style, goals, and how we can help get you there!