Wine Australia's Paul Henry Named 2010 Wine Communicator of the Year
Sharing the honors with wine educator and writer, Peter Bourne, the Wine Communicator Award was jointly awarded in recognition of "the fundamental importance of both our domestic and international markets to the future of the Australian wine sector," declared Wine Communicators of Australia President, Rob Hirst.
Paul Henry commented: "I am thrilled to accept this award, and not only in recognition of what Wine Australia has achieved to date, but also in acknowledgement that there is much more yet to prove. Thank you to everyone who has ever got on a plane and engaged a market on behalf of their country, their region and their winery."
As General Manager Market Development with the Australian Wine and Brandy Corporation (AWBC) Paul Henry is responsible for the Australian wine sector's global marketing initiatives and development of the Wine Australia brand. Paul commenced working with the AWBC in 2003 as Regional Manager - UK and Ireland, moving to his current role based in Adelaide, in early 2006. Notable contributions toward the improved positioning of Australian wine include the development of the Wine Australia brand 'personalities', launching the inaugural Landmark Australia Tutorial and active involvement in presenting masterclasses and writing a monthly e-news read by audiences in over 80 countries worldwide.
The announcement was made on Friday 11th February at the annual RAS/WCA Macquarie Group Royal Sydney Wine Show.
• Wine Australia is the brand under which the Australian Wine and Brandy Corporation, an Australian Government organisation established to provide strategic support to the Australian wine sector, delivers its international marketing programs.
• Wine Communicators of Australia (WCA) is Australia's leading independent wine industry communications forum. Its mission is to support wine excellence and professionalism and innovation in communication about wine. Open to all, WCA membership provides a unique, personal forum for wine professionals to meet, share information and exchange ideas.
• The WCA Wine Communicator of the Year Award is the most prestigious of a number of awards and grants through which the WCA proactively supports the pursuit of excellence by Australia's wine communicators.
• The 2010 award's judges were Jancis Robinson OBE MW, James Halliday and President of WCA, Rob Hirst.
• There were three finalists selected by the WCA committee from a large number of nominations - Peter Bourne, Paul Henry (Wine Australia) and Andrew Caillard MW.
• For more information on WCA events and membership visit www.winecommunicators.com.au