Sebastiani Vineyard & Winery seeks a lab intern for harvest 2014. Candidate will perform sampling, daily analysis, and computer reporting under the direction of the Lab Manager/Enologist. Responsibilities include fruit sampling, analysis of juice and wine, monitoring fermentations, and recordkeeping. Must be organized, detail oriented and possess good communication skills. Must have basic understanding of laboratory equipment and chemistry, basic computer skills, be able to read and write English and must be available from August through November. We are looking for someone who enjoys the winemaking process and is able to work in a fast-paced environment.
• Perform all grape maturity, juice, and wine analysis according to Standard Operating Procedures.
• °Brix by Hydrometer, Densitometer, and Refractometer; Alcohol by Ebulliometer; pH; TA; Volatile Acidity; Free SO2 by Aeration Oxidation
• Perform juice, wine and vineyard samples
• Responsible for the review and accuracy of all lab analysis and data entry
• Performs standard checks and analysis of wines
• Cleans and maintains quality of laboratory instruments
• Performs rechecks as required to confirm abnormal results
• Standardize all reagents
• Monitor stock of all lab supplies
• Notifies winemaker of sluggish fermentation or other wine quality issues in tank and bins
• Performs other duties as assigned by winemaking staff
• Commitment to excellence and high standards
• Strong organizational, problem solving and analytical skills
• Ability to manage priorities and workflow
• Versatility, flexibility, patience and willingness to work in a constantly changing environment
• Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
• Demonstrated ability to calculate amounts
• Ability to understand and follow verbal instructions
• Ability to understand any and all safety requirements and cautions
• Knowledge of wines and production
• Ability to read, analyze and interpret technical procedures
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions
This position may include working late nights, early mornings and/or weekends to accommodate harvest. The ability to work flexible hours is required.