The Monterey Wine Company is seeking enthusiastic Seasonal Interns to join our production staff for the 2014 harvest, starting in August and ending in mid-November or beyond. You will participate in all aspects of winemaking from grape to barrel/tank following standard operating procedures. We offer state of the art technology with many new winemaking technologies/equipment, and an opportunity for exposure to different winemaking styles.
You will be asked to perform cellar tasks in a fast-paced environment.
Job Description Summary:
• Shift management during the harvest season. Assist the Management Team with of all aspects of harvest, including fruit intake, fermentation management, pressing, barreling, logistical flow, personnel management, etc.
• Perform cellar duties, including operating equipment, racking, pump over wine, forklift operation, and operate crush equipment, etc.
• Carry out proper sanitation techniques for cleaning, sanitizing and storing winery equipment as well as the operational set-ups for routine winery work, such as wine and juice transfers, filtrations and tank preparations.
• Properly and accurately complete work orders and other tracking documents in WMDB.
• Follow standard operating procedures in the performance of all cellar activities to ensure that maximum productivity and wine quality goals are achieved.
• Adhere to all safety policies and procedures.
• Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, experience and/or abilities required.
• Have obtained or working towards a BS Degree in Enology or related field.
• Ability to think both analytically and subjectively.
• Computer literacy in software applications MS Word and Excel required. Experience in WMDB
• Excellent communication skills, verbal and written. Fluent in English a plus.
• Strong organizational and time management skills. Attention to detail. Ability to multi task.
• Ability to adapt and be flexible within a changing work environment. Willing to work flexible and extended hours when necessary (graveyard shift during harvest).
• Ability to contribute to a positive work environment by behaving and communicating in a manner that works positively with clients, customers, co-workers and management.
• Two (2) years experience working in a winery; Two (2) years leading or supervising others preferred.
• Demonstrated excellent sensory skills.
• Demonstrated ability to supervise, lead or motivate others; to work independently or as a team.
Must obtain legal authority to work in the United States
Shared Housing and transportation may be provided