Purpose of Role:
Work as a team player to create a fabulous customer experience, grow our wine club and sell wine.
• Perform all opening and closing procedures within the scope of the position and keep tasting room stocked, organized, and clean.
• Educate, share and communicate information about the different wines available for tasting to increase sales, wine club memberships and customer database.
• Stay informed on new releases, wine clubs, new shipping rules and other important customer information.
• Comply at all times with rules and regulations defined by California Department of Alcoholics Beverages Control (CDABC).
• Represent Sterling in a professional, knowledgeable, and courteous manner with the ability to multi-task and interact with many customers simultaneously.
• Ability to engage all customers, and promote the winery and provide education and information within the comfort level of each customer.
• Attend to customers, shareholders and club members.
• Greet customers the moment they walk into the tasting room and make them feel welcome.
• Offer information about club memberships to customers and actively recruit new members.
• Extend customer service at all times, answering questions, discussing products and sharing the Sterling story.
• Maintain knowledge of the local area including other wineries, restaurants, events, etc.
• Must be able to showcase the winery and give tours and discuss winemaking.
• Promote mailing list sign-ups and follow up with customers as appropriate.
• Establish a relationship between consumer and the winery, inform customers of Sterling’s recent awards, ratings, and accolades.
• Stay informed about wines that need to be showcased and promoted in the tasting room.
• Promote and encourage sales of all of Sterling’s products, including harder-to-move wines and promote wine clubs.
• Encourage ongoing personal contact with customers by handing out business cards, sending thank you notes, and offering to assist with future orders.
• Keep up to date on sales goals and work to help the tasting room meet those goals. Attend staff meetings, tastings and other work-related events. Promote Sterling events and new releases, and encourage repeat visits to the tasting room.
Qualifications and Experience Required:
• Must have basic understanding, equivalent experience or ability to learn and maintain knowledge of wine and winemaking as well as current trends/events in the wine business.
• Must be able to effectively communicate with customers about Sterling’s history and brand strategy, including the differences between product tiers.
• Must be able to work additional hospitality/sales events on and/or offsite.
• Must have the ability to work at least one weekend day per week.
• Must be able to occasional travel to other Diageo locations.
• Must be able to work independently and use sound judgment.
• Must have strong Interpersonal skills to adapt to all types/levels of customers.
• Must have excellent communications skills with the ability to engage guests.
• Must have proficient computer literacy to perform required job duties including entering data into POS system, printing tasting menus and communicating via email.
• Must be able to count money and make correct change and have strong attention to detail and follow-up.
• Must be able to remain calm and focused under pressure and be able to lift 40 pounds.
• Must be at least 21 years of age and have a valid California Drivers License
• Maintain a neat and clean personal appearance. Must be reliable and maintain good attendance record