Job Title: WINERY GENERAL MANAGER
Date Posted: 08 February 2014
August Ridge Vineyards is a boutique winery in the Paso Robles AVA specializing in Italian varietal wines. Winery business has grown to the point where a dedicated General Manager is necessary to take business performance to the next level. This is a rare opportunity for the right individual to step in and make their mark in the wine industry by proving they “have what it takes” to deliver continued rapid growth. As a “hands-on” General Manager the successful candidate will direct and do marketing/sales, cellar operations, budgeting and administration.
The General Manager will lead the August Ridge Team and report directly to the Owner. Within the scope of responsibilities the General Manager has decision making authority and will be expected to act aggressively to grow the business. Continued success will earn greater authority and increased compensation. This position is ideal for an early career individual who is looking for a position with broad responsibilities to kick start their personal growth.
• Driving sales growth through all channels: tasting room, Wine Club, DTC and distribution.
• Selection and development of target markets to build a significant distribution business.
• Winery and cellar operations. With the Owner plan and execute crush, bottling and routine cellar and lab work. Procure and maintain necessary supplies.
• Inventory management and reporting.
• Work with Bookkeeper to plan budgets, approve expenses, prepare reports and measure business performance.
• Overall management of Tasting Room operations and staff during open hours. Will includes some one on one customer interaction, actively selling the currently available products, taking payment and making change and encouraging wine club membership.
• Represent August Ridge at events such as charity, public/trade and industry specific wine tasting events as appropriate.
• Other tasks as may be assigned.
• High energy with genuine interest and care for the highest level of customer satisfaction.
• Comfortable in both a hands on retail and wholesale selling environments.
• Self starting with a willingness to identify and solve problems independently.
• Detail oriented with good analytical and structured problem solving skills.
• Common sense.
• Prior experience in each area of responsibility although not necessarily at the same time.
• Demonstrated success as a winemaker or assistant winemaker.
• BS or BA in a related subject. Oenology degree not required with equivalent experience.
• General computer skills of the complexity of Quickbooks and the MS Office suite of software. Internet and social media savvy.
• Must be able to push, pull or lift up to 50lbs without accommodation. The position includes long periods of standing.
• Must be 21 and possess a valid driving license.
Compensation is structured as a combination of a base annual salary and performance linked bonus payouts. Your success in growing the business will literally be seen in your pay packet. The position includes ten days paid Personal Time Off annually.
The position requires some weekend work and extended hours in support of crush and various events. Some domestic travel will be required.
August Ridge Vineyards is a boutique winery located in Creston, CA, that specializes in Cal-Ital wines. Using a combination of Estate grown and purchased fruit the winery currently produces ~1500 cases per year with growth targeted to 3000 cases in the next three years. Varietals include Sangiovese, Nebbiolo, Barbera, Primitivo, Pinot Grigio, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and several proprietary blends.