Duckhorn Wine Company has set the standard for American fine wine for over three decades. The Duckhorn Wine Company family includes Duckhorn Vineyards, Paraduxx, Goldeneye, Migration and Decoy. With grapes selected from the finest estate vineyards, as well as a variety of sought-after vineyard sites, each winery is presented with a canvas of lots from which to blend its wines. Focused on optimal grape selection, innovative winemaking techniques and a premium barrel-aging program, Duckhorn Wine Company is founded on an unwavering commitment to quality. Duckhorn Wine Company wines are available throughout the United States, on five continents, and in more than 40 countries.
SUMMARY: The Cellar Master is responsible for the planning and coordination of cellar, crush and bottling preparation activities. Responsibilities include but are not limited to the assignment of tasks to the cellar staff review and generation of cellar work orders, preservation of wine quality and improvement of cellar efficiency. At all times the Cellar Master will demonstrate a professional demeanor and act as a positive role model.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assigns daily workload to cellar production crew.
• Reviews all cellar work orders for accuracy before and after completion of work.
• Ensures accuracy and timely completion of tasks in an efficient manner and in the manner in which the work orders are written
• Orders and maintains all cellar supplies.
• Works closely with Assistant Winemaker to ensure highest possible wine quality.
• Plans staffing needs for the cellar department; assists with the hiring process as needed.
• Trains, supervises, motivates, and develops cellar crew members both full time and seasonal and ensures that they follow safety guidelines and procedures.
• Supervises all cellar functions including but not limited to sanitation, barrel preparation, harvest functions, barrel maintenance, forklift operations, and filtrations to ensure quality and efficiency.
• Operates forklift and crush equipment.
• Monitors performance of crew and facility and communicates with management.
• Completes cellar staff written evaluations.
• Maintains an organized and sanitized cellar at all times.
• Assists the Winemaking team in quality control throughout the winemaking process
• Oversees crush pad operations
• Performs physical inventories
• Orders all cellar gases and coordinates cylinder/bin returns, approves subsequent invoices.
• Promotes and adheres to safety program (including but not limited to HazMat, confined space procedures, storm water waste management program, lockout, tag-out, crush equipment and forklift operations)
• Maintains all records related to Hazardous Materials Management Program to ensure regulatory compliance and updates SDS sheets as required
• Ensures that all cellar employees are supplied with appropriate personal protective gear
• Under the direction of the Winemaker, improves upon cellar protocol and standard operating procedures as needed
• Makes decisions on a daily basis using good judgment and within scope of Cellar Master assigned responsibilities; asks for Winemaker’s input and oversight when appropriate
• Promotes a sense of job ownership and high morale in all cellar employees
Minimum five years winery production experience in a supervisory role
Analytical skills and attention to detail
Exceptional organizational skills
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
College degree preferred
Fluent in English and Spanish desired
Good computer skills, Microsoft applications preferred
Proactive, honest and trustworthy
Team player with a positive attitude
Ability to learn quickly and adapt to change in a dynamic environment
Must have valid driver’s license with a clean driving record.
Duckhorn Wine Company offers a highly competitive and comprehensive compensation and benefits package. Please respond with resume, letter of introduction and salary history.