Delicato Family Vineyards (DFV Wines) has an immediate career opportunity for a Wine Educator/Tasting Room Attendant at our Black Stallion Estate Winery in Napa, CA.
DFV Wines is a family-owned California winery founded in 1924. Three generations of the Indelicato family have guided grapes from vineyard to bottle and into homes and dining establishments around the world. DFV Wines is steadfastly committed to crafting and representing wines of the highest quality produced in accordance with sustainable winegrowing practices. Among the leading and fastest growing wine companies in America, the DFV Wines portfolio includes Gnarly Head, Black Stallion Estate Winery, Noble Vines, HandCraft Artisan Collection, La Merika, First Press, Bota Box, Massimo, Irony, Domino and Twisted.
Position Summary: Under immediate supervision, the Wine Educator is responsible for enhancing guest experiences by sharing knowledge of wine, winemaking, food pairings and Black Stallion Winery.
Wine Educator - Duties/Essential Functions:
• Serves VIP guests and trade clients in an effort to build customer loyalty
• Assists Tasting Room Manager and Assistant Tasting Room Manager in developing and setting luxury standards of guest service
• Responsible for facilitating wine education and leading training sessions for Tasting Room team and self
• Promotes sales and sales training for Tasting Room team
Tasting Room Attendant - Duties/Essential Functions:
• Greets visitors and pours wines for customer tasting according to procedures
• Describes wines, winemaking techniques, and winery history; answers visitor’s questions
• Suggests and sells wine and non-wine products to customers
• Handles routine POS transactions which include operating cash register and accounting of daily sales; process returns, discounts, employee purchases, etc.
• Assists customers to their vehicles with large purchases when necessary
• Provides general tourist information
• Stays current on winery/wine knowledge
• Washes and polishes glassware for Tasting Room
• Conducts guided tours as needed
• Assists with hospitality special events as needed including assistance with setup and breakdown of events
• Represents winery at outside functions as needed
• Assists with stocking wine and non-wine products as needed
• Assists with display and pricing of retail items and wines as needed
• Performs other duties as assigned
• Must be at least 21 years of age.
• Must be able to work evenings, weekends and holidays.
• High School Diploma or equivalent required, Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree preferred
• 6+ months specialized coursework or training in hospitality, winemaking, sensory or related field preferred or equivalent experience
• Possess or be in-process of attaining professional wine certification (Sommelier, CSW, WSET)
• 3-5 years in same or similar role
• Excellent knowledge of wine and the AVA’s of California
• Possess and display excellent sales skills
• Possess and display excellent customer service skills as they relate to a luxury business model
• Outstanding customer service skills and ability to work with the public
• Proven ability to effectively communicate with confidence and comfort in front of diverse client groups
• Commitment to excellence and high standards
• Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
• Flexibility and ability to manage constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm
• Knowledge of commonly used practices and procedures used in merchandising
• Professional appearance and demeanor
• Strong computer proficiency and data entry experience preferred
• Basic to intermediate skills in Microsoft Office suite, including Word & Excel
Delicato offers its employees a very generous and comprehensive benefits package. The core health insurance components include medical, dental and vision, where Delicato covers nearly the entire cost for employees and a large percentage for dependents. Additional health benefits include life, disability and flexible spending accounts. Other benefits include 401(k) with generous company match, discretionary profit sharing, paid time off (PTO), paid holidays, wine & merchandise discounts, tuition reimbursement, gym discounts & many more.