Don't forget to register to attend the Virginia Wine Summit, Oct. 28:
The Virginia Wine Summit, hosted the Governor’s office, is on Monday, October 28 and is a one day event featuring panels, tastings, and discussions on Virginia’s wine and culinary offerings with experts and industry leaders from around the country. Speakers this year include:
· Keynote speaker, British wine authority Oz Clarke
· Dave McIntyre, wine writer at The Washington Post
· Andrew Hoover, a Virginia wine specialist and editor at Wine Enthusiast
· Charlie Berg, sommelier at Blue Hill Stone Barns (Pocantico Hills, NY)
· Michael Madrigale, sommelier at Bar Boulud, Epicierie Boulud & Boulud Sud (New York)
· Steven Grubbs, sommelier at Empire State South (Atlanta, GA) & Five and Ten (Athens, GA)
· Todd Thrasher, sommelier at Restaurant Eve (Alexandria, VA)
· Patrick Cappiello, partner and wine director at Pearl & Ash (New York, NY)
· Cappie Peete, sommelier at McCrady’s (Charleston, SC)
· Neal Wavra, sommelier at The Ashby Inn (Paris, VA)
· Robert Wiedmaier, executive chef of Mussel Bar and Wildwood Kitchen (Bethesda, MD), Marcel’s and Brasserie Beck (Washington D.C.), and Brabo and Brabo Tasting Room (Alexandria)
· Spike Gjerde, executive chef at Woodberry Kitchen (Baltimore, MD)
· Ryan Prewitt, executive chef at Pêche (New Orleans, LA)
· Linda Murphy, wine writer and author
· Kendra Bailey Morris, cookbook author
· Patrick Evans-Hylton, wine and food writer
· Phillip Zucchino, co-founder of The Wine Feed (Raleigh, NC)
· Jay Youmans, Master of Wine
· Bartholomew Broadbent, wine distributor
· Kathy Morgan, Master Sommelier, among others.
It’s been an exciting year for Virginia Wines, with a record-breaking over 511,000 cases sold. Notably, export sales have increased by 74 percent, to more than 5,800 cases from the previous years’ 3,300 cases. Virginia has been consistently recognized as one of the country’s most promising emerging wine regions in publications like Wine Spectator and the New York Times, and was named one of the World’s Ten Best Wine Travel Destinations by Wine Enthusiast in 2012.
In addition to the Summit, there’s also a reception for speakers and industry folks on the Sunday evening prior (10/27) at the VMFA. The event is open to the public, and tickets for the reception and Wine Summit can be purchased on the website.